BR 1667 Restaurant Buffet
|BR 1667 Restaurant Buffet|
BR Restaurant Buffet 1667
|Built By||Pressed Steel|
|Livery||BR(W) Chocolate & Cream|
|Other numbers||E1667 NE1667 M1667|
|1999||Arrived on SVR|
BR Mark 1 Buffet Restaurant carriage (RB) No 1667 was built by Pressed Steel in 1960 to diagram number 24 of lot number 30628. Unlike the Restaurant Miniature Buffet (RMB) carriage which was only intended to provide quick snacks, the Buffet Restaurant carriage included a full kitchen facility as well as a buffet counter. In regular service they were normally paired with an Open First to provide additional seating for diners, having 23 loose chairs themselves. During service many RB's including 1667 were refurbished (becoming RBR), the modifications including the installation of fluorescent lighting
1667 entered service in BR's Eastern region in 1961 as E1667. In May 1965 it was transferred to the North East region, returning to the Eastern region by January 1968 A further reallocation to the Midland region took place by 1972, with a final transfer back to the Eastern region in August 1985.
1667 arrived on the SVR in December 1999 ex Rail Charter Services, to replace sister carriage 1678. Shortly after arrival it received a repaint and had the steam heating reinstated. It initially served as spare kitchen car, but was brought into service just before the 2001 Autumn Steam Gala when regular Kitchen Car 1682 was 'red carded' with gas plumbing issues.
By 2007 1667 had been fully restored, including two years of internal remodeling carried out at Bewdley in 2004-05. It now forms part of the Severn Valley Limited dining set in BR(W) livery as W1667 (a number that it did not carry in service). It is owned by SVR(H).
- Longworth (2013) p.21.
- Railway Heritage Register Carriage Survey
- SVR News 133
- SVR News 140
- SVR News 153