Category:Non Passenger Carrying Coaching Stock (NPCCS)
Non Passenger Carrying Coaching Stock (NPCCS) comprised goods vans and similar vehicles which were equipped to be included in passenger services. Typically, this would require:
- Suspension suitable for working at higher speeds
- A longer wheelbase and larger wheels than comparable 'goods' rated stock
- Continuous brakes
- Through steam-heating pipe
NPCCS was normally used for 'premium' type goods which required fast delivery. These included:
- Coaches dedicated wholly to guard's use plus passenger luggage
- Parcels and mails
- Perishable goods, including fruit and dairy products
- Motor-cars carried for individuals, rather than 'trade'.
- Horses and other categories of livestock
GWRGreat Western Railway NPCCS vehicles were normally painted plain brown rather than the normal 'chocolate and cream' and were thus known as "brown vehicles".
Classes of NPCCS found on the SVRSevern Valley Railway include:
- BG / BGP / BGZ: Brake Gangwayed coach (also known as a Full Brake) having a guard's compartment in the centre and two large areas either side for storing luggage or other goods. The suffix P indicated a Pigeon Van. The suffix Z indicates a 6-wheeled vehicle.
- POS: Post Office Sorting Van (also known as a Travelling Post Office or 'TPOTravelling Post Office')
- GUVGeneral Utility Van, formerly used to transport mail and parcels: General Utility Van
- PMVG / PMVY: Parcels and Miscellaneous Van
- HBY: Horse Box
- MTZ: Milk Tanker
This category has the following 4 subcategories, out of 4 total.
Pages in category ‘Non Passenger Carrying Coaching Stock (NPCCS)’
This category contains only the following page.