Ruston and Hornsby 165hp Diesel Electric Shunter D2961

From SVR Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
RustonRuston and Hornsby Ltd. of Lincoln, engineer and locomotive manufacturer acquired by English Electric in 1966. Also, Ruston-Bucyrus Ltd established in 1930 and jointly owned by Ruston and Hornsby and Bucyrus-Erie (US) and Hornsby 165hp Diesel Electric Shunter D2961
D2961 20150320.jpg
D2961 at Bridgnorth
Built By RustonRuston and Hornsby Ltd. of Lincoln, engineer and locomotive manufacturer acquired by English Electric in 1966. Also, Ruston-Bucyrus Ltd established in 1930 and jointly owned by Ruston and Hornsby and Bucyrus-Erie (US) & Hornsby
Configuration 0-4-0
Power type Diesel Electrical
Status Operational
Loco Number D2961 (fictitious)
Other Numbers Works no 418956
History
Built 1957
Designed By RustonRuston and Hornsby Ltd. of Lincoln, engineer and locomotive manufacturer acquired by English Electric in 1966. Also, Ruston-Bucyrus Ltd established in 1930 and jointly owned by Ruston and Hornsby and Bucyrus-Erie (US) & Hornsby
Type 165 h.p.
1983 Arrived on SVRSevern Valley RailwaySVRA:Severn Valley Railway AssociationSVRS:Severn Valley Railway Society
Technical
Length 22ft 1in
Weight 28t

Diesel Locomotives

D2961 in service

D2961 is one of a number of 165 h.p. diesel shunters at the SVRSevern Valley RailwaySVRA:Severn Valley Railway AssociationSVRS:Severn Valley Railway Society, but is the only Diesel Electric example. It was built by RustonRuston and Hornsby Ltd. of Lincoln, engineer and locomotive manufacturer acquired by English Electric in 1966. Also, Ruston-Bucyrus Ltd established in 1930 and jointly owned by Ruston and Hornsby and Bucyrus-Erie (US) and Hornsby of Lincoln as works number 418596 of 1957, and was delivered new to ICI Limited at Winnington, Cheshire. In early 1965 it moved to T.H. Ward of Sheffield, and late in the same year moved on to Higgs and Hill, Contractors for Fiddlers Ferry Power Station. After returning to Wards, it moved to Tunnel Cement at Birsley, Flint in 1969.

In 1972 the locomotive was sold to Tinsley and Lovatt of Trentham, Staffs for overhaul, following which it was sold to its final owners, Patent Shaft Steelworks of Wednesbury.

D2961 in preservation

Following purchase the locomotive arrived on the SVRSevern Valley RailwaySVRA:Severn Valley Railway AssociationSVRS:Severn Valley Railway Society on 1 November 1980. It was repainted in BRBritish Rail or British Railways green livery, given the fictitious number D2961, initially used as the Bridgnorth yard shunter and occasionally on engineers’ trains, and currently as boiler shop shunter. It is owned by Pete Cherry, as is photographed in March 2015 at Bridgnorth.

See also

Diesel Locomotives

References

SVRSevern Valley RailwaySVRA:Severn Valley Railway AssociationSVRS:Severn Valley Railway Society Stock Book Ninth Edition