Clayton Class 17 Bo-Bo D8568
|Clayton Class 17 Bo-Bo D8568|
D8568 arriving at Bewdley from Kidderminster in 2015
|Built By||Clayton Equipment Company Limited|
|Power type||Diesel Electric|
|1989||Returned to traffic|
Intended by British Railways as the standard Type 1The British Railways classification for diesel locomotives of up to 1000 bhp for the railway system, supplanting the EEEnglish Electric type 1 (later class 20), poor reliability meant withdrawals began as early as 1968, when some members were just four years old. Although the Class was allocated a TOPS code, none of the locomotives survived long enough for renumbering.
Three variations of the class were built:
- Class 17/1 (Clayton locomotives, with GEC generator)
- Class 17/2 (two locomotives), with Rolls Royce engines
- Class 17/3 (Beyer Peacock sub-contract built examples D8588-D8616, with Crompton Parkinson generator)
D8568 in BRBritish Rail or British Railways serviceThe loco spent all of its working life in Scotland where it was delivered on 6 January 1964, to Haymarket, moving to Polmadie on 28 September 1968. It remained operating at this depot until it was withdrawn from service on 6 October 1971.
D8568 in industrial service
Sold from Polmadie, D8568 went to Hemelite of Harpenden, a cement company on the former branch line between Harpenden and Hemel Hempstead. It arrived under its own power on 11 September 1972, to become the first 'privately owned' ex-main line diesel loco to break the 'no private diesels BRBritish Rail or British Railways ban'.
D8568 was sold to Ribble Cement (now Castle Cement) and moved to Clitheroe, arriving on 24 June 1977. D8568 was repainted into the new owning company colours of light grey upper body with the running plate, bogies and underframe in dark green. The company logo of a castle was applied to the cab sides and nose ends.
D8568 in preservation