BR Class 08 D3201
D3201 is an 0-6-0 Class 08 350hp diesel electric shunting locomotive. As the standard BRBritish Rail or British Railways general-purpose diesel shunter, the Class 08 became the most numerous of any British locomotive class with 996 built between 1952 and 1962.
D3201 in main line service
The locomotive was built at Derby Works and entered BRBritish Rail or British Railways service in December 1955 as No 13201, being initially allocated to Polmadie (Glasgow). In 1960 it was renumbered D3201 by BRBritish Rail or British Railways. During the 1960s D3201 saw moves to other Scottish sheds at Hamilton (West), Corkerhill and Ayr, before a move south to Lincoln in October 1968.
In October 1973 D3201 received its final number from BRBritish Rail or British Railways, becoming No 08133 under the TOPSTotal Operations Processing System, an American computer system adopted by BR in the late 1960s to number and manage rolling stock. numbering scheme. The locomotive remained at Lincoln until withdrawn from service in September 1980.After withdrawal by BRBritish Rail or British Railways, D3201 saw service in industry with Sheerness Iron & Steel.
D3201 in preservation
In Spring 2003 SVRSevern Valley Railway News announced that the 08 Group had acquired 08133 from H.N.R.C. as a potential source of spares for their other locomotive D3022. The SVRSevern Valley Railway Board had agreed with the Group that either use as a source of spares or as a potential working locomotive was acceptable. The Group opted for restoration, following which the locomotive, re-numbered D3201, first moved under its own power in 2011.D3201 is normally based at Kidderminster and is currently in BRBritish Rail or British Railways green livery.
- BRDatabase website
- SVRSevern Valley Railway News 143
- SVR "Meet The Loco" web page