1450 is a GWRGreat Western Railway CollettCharles Benjamin Collett, Chief Mechanical Engineer (CME) of the Great Western Railway 1922-1941 1400 class 0-4-2T locomotive, designed for work on small branch lines.
1400 Class information
1450 (originally 4850) is a GWRGreat Western Railway 1400 class 0-4-2T locomotive. These locomotives, which were originally numbered in the 4800 series, were designed by C.B. CollettCharles Benjamin Collett, Chief Mechanical Engineer (CME) of the Great Western Railway 1922-1941 as a replacement for the elderly Wolverhampton '517' class, and were intended to work mainly on small branch lines. 75 were built at Swindon in three batches between 1932 and 1936, being fitted from new with auto gear for working with trailer cars and also with ATC (automatic train control) equipment. 20 other locomotives of the same class, numbered 5800-5819, were built in 1933 without auto gear and ATC, although some were retro-fitted with the latter. Following nationalisation BRBritish Rail or British Railways rated the class 1PThe British Railways system of classifying steam locomotives by power using a number from 0, least powerful, to 9, most powerful, followed by either F for freight, P for Passenger or MT for Mixed Traffic..
Post-1945, coal shortages led to plans being put forward to convert a number of GWRGreat Western Railway engines to oil burning. 12 of the 2800 class freight engines were modified and renumbered in the 4800 series. As a result the entire 4800 class was renumbered 1400 to 1474 by the GWRGreat Western Railway in 1946.
Three other members of the class have survived into preservation; 1420 at the South Devon Railway, 1442 at Tiverton Museum and 4866 at the Great Western Society in Didcot.
1450 in service
4850 was built in 1935 to lot number 288 and first entered service at Oxford in July 1935. It was re-numbered 1450 by the GWRGreat Western Railway in 1946 and re-allocated to Slough in April 1951. While based there it was photographed in 1955 at Bourne End working an autocoach service to Maidenhead.. A return to Oxford in September 1959 was followed by further re-allocations to Exeter (July 1962), Taunton (November 1963) and Yeovil Town (October 1964) before a final move to Exmouth Junction in February 1965. 1450 was finally withdrawn from service by BRBritish Rail or British Railways in May 1965, after a working life totalling 823,012 miles.
1450 in preservation
1450 spent her early life in preservation at the Dart Valley Railway (now the South Devon Railway). She was eventually purchased from there and re-located to the Dean Forest Railway by Pull Push Limited, her present owner, of whom Mike Little is a director.
1450 arrived at the SVRSevern Valley Railway from the DFR in March 2014, initially on hire for the year. Subsequently 1450 has been listed as part of the home fleet. Although not powerful enough to haul service trains on her own 1450 did so in 2014, double heading with 4566 to provide the required power, due to a number of ongoing locomotive repairs leaving the SVRSevern Valley Railway unexpectedly short on engines. The locomotive is regularly used on Footplate Experience duties, as well as appearing on charters and at galas on the SVRSevern Valley Railway and elsewhere. She is often paired with the owner's autocoaches 178 and 238 which are also resident on the SVRSevern Valley Railway.Whilst 1450 was winterised at Bridgnorth MPD over 2017-18 she returned to GWRGreat Western Railway livery, at the owner's request, for the remainder of its current boiler ticket.
See alsoSteam Locomotives
SVR-based locomotives visiting other events
- Rail UK Steam Loco Class Information -- GWR 1400
- Great Western Archive
- Signalman’s Reflections, Adrian Vaughan, 1990, p68
- BR Database
- SDR web site, retrieved 25-01-2015.
- SVR Twitter 1 January 2018