Kitson & Co 5474 'Carnarvon'
Kitson & Co Works No. 5474 'Carnarvon' was resident on the SVR between 1969 and 1970.
The locomotive was built by Kitson & Co of Leeds in 1934 for Stewarts and Lloyds. This locomotive was built to a Manning Wardle design which Kitson acquired when Manning Wardle closed in 1926: the design dates from around 1917 when Manning Wardle built six locomotives for Stewarts and Lloyds to work at the quarry at Corby. The locomotive has 4ft 0in diameter wheels and two 16in inside cylinders.
47 in service
Stewarts and Lloyds numbered her No. 47. A number of locomotives carried the (anglicised) names of Welsh towns in tribute to the Welsh wife of the owner of the company. 47's working life was spent at Corby, hauling iron ore from local quarries to the iron works.
'Carnarvon' in preservation
Following withdrawal in 1969 she was purchased in working order by the Worcester Locomotive Society and moved to the SVR, where she spent the winter of 1969-70 on engineers’ trains. In 1970, the Worcester Locomotive Society moved their locomotives including 'Carnarvon' and GWR Pannier 5786 to the Bulmers Railway Centre at Hereford.
During the oil crisis in 1973, 'Carnarvon' was reportedly used to shunt wagons of cider apples for Bulmers (a producer of cider), in place of the usual diesel shunters . When the Centre closed, she found a new home in 1993 at the South Devon Railway.
South Devon Railway