MR Midland Compound 1000
Midland Compound No 1000 was resident on the SVRSevern Valley Railway between 2007 and 2011.
The Midland Railway 1000 Class of 4-4-0 steam locomotive was designed by S.W. JohnsonSamuel Waite Johnson, Chief Mechanical Engineer (CME) of the Midland Railway 1873-1903 for passenger work. The locomotives had a 3-cylinder compound arrangement, with one high pressure cylinder inside the frames, and two low pressure cylinders outside. After 5 were built, Johnson's successor Richard DeeleyChief Mechanical Engineer (CME) of the Midland Railway 1904-1909 modified the design to produce an enlarged and simplified version.
No 1000 4-4-0 was the first original Johnson design locomotive, built at Derby in 1902 and originally numbered 2631. It was renumbered 1000 in 1907, and rebuilt at Derby in 1914 to incorporate the Deeley modifications. The locomotive continued in use as No 1000 in the LMSLondon Midland & Scottish Railway fleet following grouping in 1923, and was renumbered as 41000 by BRBritish Rail or British Railways following nationalisation. The locomotive was finally withdrawn and set aside for preservation in 1951.
No 1000 has been steamed in preservation, but was loaned to the SVRSevern Valley Railway by the NRM in 2007 as a static exhibit for display in the Engine House. Entry to The Engine House was delayed until 2008 by the storm damage of 2007. The loan period ended in 2011. The locomotive remains part of the National Collection, and from time to time is loaned to other Railways by the NRM.
SourcesSVRSevern Valley Railway News
NRM collection page for No 1000 Retrieved 3 March 2015.