GWR Large Prairie 4141
4141 was resident on the SVRSevern Valley Railway between 1973 and 1988, although restoration was never completed. 4141 was also a Gala visitor in spring 2007.
4141 is a GWRGreat Western Railway CollettCharles Benjamin Collett, Chief Mechanical Engineer (CME) of the Great Western Railway 1922-1941 5101 'Large PrairieLocomotive with a 2-6-2 wheel configuration', and a sister engine to the SVRSevern Valley Railway’s 4150. 4141 was out-shopped from Swindon in August 1946, and was based at the Gloucester (Horton Rd) depot for its entire working life which lasted just 17 years. Following withdrawal by BRBritish Rail or British Railways in February 1963, 4141 was sent to Barry Scrapyard. In 1970 SVRSevern Valley Railway member Peter Waite expressed an interest in purchasing the locomotive, and with assistance from the ‘Hampton Loade Loco Fund’ 4150 arrived on the SVRSevern Valley Railway on 6 January 1973 in a convoy which also included 5164, 4930 Hagley Hall and 7819 Hinton Manor.
After several months at Bewdley, 4141 moved to Hampton Loade where restoration began on an isolated section of track. However progress was slow and had effectively stalled by 1988 when the locomotive was sold and moved away from the SVRSevern Valley Railway.
4141 returned to the SVRSevern Valley Railway in 2007 for an appearance at the Spring Steam Gala. In October 2012 the locomotive moved to its latest home, the Epping Ongar Railway.
See alsoFormer Residents
Steam Locomotives visiting the SVR for galas
SVRSevern Valley Railway News
Severn Valley Railway Stock Book, seventh edition
Epping Ongar Railway web site
Epping Ongar Railway web page Retrieved 27 February 2015.