LMS Jinty 47383
|LMS Jinty 47383|
47383 at Highley
|Built By||Vulcan Foundry, Newton-le-Willows|
|Status||Out of service|
|Other Numbers||16466, 7383|
|Designed By||Henry Fowler|
|Type||Fowler 3F ‘Jinty’|
|1968||Arrived on SVR|
|Tractive effort||20,835 lb|
|Pressure||160 lb/sq in|
47383 is an LMS Fowler Class 3F 0-6-0T, more commonly referred to as a ‘Jinty’. These locomotives were primarily intended for shunting duties.
47383 in service
47383 was built for the LMS by the Vulcan Foundry at Newton-le-Willows, Lancashire as Works No 3954 of 1926, and entered service in October of that year as LMS Number 16466. Its first allocation was to the Devons Road depot in Bow, East London, where this class of locomotive was used for suburban passenger services from Broad Street as well as shunting duties.
In March 1928 16466 moved to the north-west, serving at Liverpool Edge Hill until January 1931, Mold Junction near Chester until May 1932, and then to Chester where the locomotive was frequently used as the station pilot over the next 30 years.
In July 1935, 16466 was renumbered 7383 by the LMS as part of a company-wide re-numbering begun in 1932. Following nationalisation, it was renumbered 47383 by BR, who rated the class 3F.
Between November 1962 and June 1963 the locomotive was based at Carlisle, followed by transfers to Burnley (Rose Grove) and Manchester (Newton Heath). There the locomotive was initially withdrawn from service in late 1966. However a shortage of locomotives at the NCB sidings at Williamthorpe Colliery in Chesterfield (worked by BR under an old agreement) saw a temporary reprieve, until final withdrawal in October 1967.
47383 in preservation
A group of enthusiasts formed the Manchester Rail Travel Society in 1966 with the intention of acquiring a Jinty. A number of steam tours were organised to raise funds, four of which were jointly organised with the fledgling SVR. As a result of this relationship, 47383 became the 5th locomotive to join the SVR, arriving by road from Blackwell A Winning Colliery on 26 May 1968, some two years before the official opening.
Following restoration, the locomotive was first steamed on 4 September 1973, following which it entered service in BR livery. Initially it saw regular use on lighter mid-week passenger services and ‘schools trains’, and apart from until being withdrawn for wheel reprofiling and bearing re-metalling throughout 1976, 47383 worked until failing with leaking tubes in summer 1979.
Following an overhaul, 47383 was steamed again in late 1982, although the first move under power did not go as expected – forward gear was selected but the locomotive promptly set off in reverse! Once this minor issue was addressed, the locomotive resumed duties although in 1987 another mid-ticket year was spent out of service, this time for repairs including a broken piston. Service resumed in 1988 and continued until the boiler’s ‘end of ticket’ in winter 1991. A quick turnaround saw 47383 steamed again in July 1992; this time an unbroken 10 year stint was completed until its last steaming in 2002.
During its time at the SVR, 47383 spent a couple of seasons running as 'Thomas', due to an overhaul being carried out on 686 The Lady Armaghdale. The locomotive also spent a number of periods on hire to other railways including Swanage (1988, 1989 and 1996), Churnet Valley (1996 and 1997) and Chinnor and Princes Risborough (1997). Mileage recorded for the locomotive in SVR News was as follows:
In Spring 2009 the SVRA held the second of two raffles in aid of 47383's firebox repairs, raising £9,623 nett. The first raffle some five years earlier had raised £8,562 nett. The locomotive was one of those which in 2011 had copper sheets stolen, the cost of which the SVR's insurers met in full.
47383 is on display in The Engine House awaiting overhaul. It is owned by the Manchester Rail Travel Society.
SVR-based locomotives visiting other events
Locomotives running under different identities
LMS Fowler Class 3F on Wikipedia