GWR Pannier 1501
|GWR Pannier 1501|
1501 approaching Highley in 2012
|Built By||BR Swindon Works|
|Loco Number||BR 1501|
|1961||Withdrawn by BR|
|1970||Acquired by SVR|
1501 in service
1501’s working life was spent at Southall, hauling long rakes of empty coaching stock in and out of Paddington Station. It was withdrawn from service by BR in January 1961 after a working life of just 11 years 5 months, and was one of three sold to the National Coal Board for use at Coventry Colliery.
1501 in preservation
In Autumn 1970 all three 1500 class locomotives were acquired from Coventry Colliery for use on the SVR. 1501 was initially moved from Coventry to Tyseley for wheel turning, before a further move to Bewdley, both moves being by rail behind a diesel. During the latter move, excessive speed caused damage to one of 1501’s axle boxes. The other two NCB locos (1502 and 1509) were used as a source of parts for restoring 1501; the remains were then scrapped.
In service on the SVR, 1501 has proved a powerful locomotive for its size, acquiring the nickname “the raging bull”. The locomotive is owned by the 15xx Pannier Tank Trust.