Foley Park Halt
|Towards Kidderminster||Towards Shrewsbury|
via Rifle Range Halt (to 1920)
Foley Park Halt
Foley Park Halt was located on the loop line between Kidderminster and Bewdley and opened on 2 January 1905. It was located next to Stourport Road Bridge; originally situated on the South side of the line but later moved to the North side when Foley Park sidings were opened in 1925. The extract from Ordnance Survey Map SO87, surveyed 1938 - 1949, published 1951, shows the later location.
The halt was initially served by a steam railmotor service which began the same day, lasting until 1918.
A letter from the GWRGreat Western Railway to the Board of Trade, dated 24 December 1904, requests the Board to provisionally sanction the work being carried out on the new "stopping place for rail motor cars".
On 29 April 1905, Major I. W. Pringle inspected the "calling place for motor car service" at Foley Park and the similar platform at Rifle Range Halt and recommended the Board of Trade to approve their use.
It was in later years named Foley Park (without the 'Halt'), photographed as such with a BRBritish Rail or British Railways modern 'Rail Alphabet' running in board in May 1969. It closed on 6 January 1970 when passenger services ceased between Bewdley and Kidderminster. Little or no trace of the halt is visible today.
Historic maps of Foley Park Halt
- 1905 GWRGreat Western Railway schematic plan of Foley Park Halt in its original location.
- Original GWRGreat Western Railway plan updated with later revisions in red, showing the halt to the north of the line and new sidings to the south.
- A DMU at Foley Park Halt, Courtney Haydon Collection (Y-72-19), via Wayback Machine Internet Archive
- Image of Foley Park in May 1969 posted by Graham Larkbey on 23 January 2023
- ↑ Documents held at Shropshire Archives
- "British Sugar Corporation Ltd, Foley Park, Kidderminster". Railways in Worcestershire article. Link. Accessed 09/01/2015.
- "Severn Valley Railway". Railways in Worcestershire article. Link. Accessed 09/01/2015.