The GWR Economic System of Track Maintenance

The GWR Economic System of Track Maintenance was introduced in 1901 to reduce the Permanent Way manpower needed to manage single track lines.
Background[edit | edit source]
Single track lines such as the Severn Valley and Tembury Branches were recognised by the GWR as particularly onerous for maintenance of the permanent way. The requirements set out in the Book of Rules and Regulations (Rules 248 to 250) were for flagmen on both sides of the obstruction/trolley/platelayers together with the application of detonators. The gang for a single line was therefore greater than that for a double track line with the need to have a large enough gang to carry out the rail or sleeper exchange as well as the safety measures. James Inglis, Chief Engineer of the GWR from 1892 to 1903, was the genus behind addressing the problem.
Such lines were divided into three categories of working:
- (a) one engine in steam
- (b) electric train staff
- (c) train staff and ticket
Those in group (a) were addressed first. Telephones were introduced in huts at approximately 60 chain intervals. The Ganger was to inform the Station Master at the nearest station from which the next train was due, the hut he was ringing from, the length of time for occupation and the location of the work with any proposed trolley movements. The Station Master must then contact the station where the train staff should be to establish its location and if occupation is permissible. He then must notify the Ganger of the precise times of use allowing 15 minutes margin before the next timetabled service. The Engineering Department were then given exclusive use of that stretch of line without the need for flagmen.
In the case of branches worked by electric train staff, trains are permitted to follow each other in the same direction so key boxes were provided in addition to telephones in each of the huts and in the signal cabins. The Signalmen at both ends of the section to be occupied hold down their key bells while the Ganger turns the key which he retains. He must then telephone the Signalman to confirm he has the key which must be returned before normal working can be resumed. Those worked by 'train staff and ticket' must be changed to 'electric train staff' working before adoption of the 'Economic System'. Savings on traffic and engineering costs were calculated prior to approval and adoption. The GWR had acquired the 19-mile Golden Valley branch between Hay-on-Wye and Pontrilas in 1899 which was worked by the 'one engine in steam' principle. It became the first branch to be converted with 17 telephones (8 at intermediate stations) installed. It became operational on 1st May 1901, costing £150 and effecting a saving of £151 per annum. The hand-pushed trolleys were replaced by mechanical trolleys with the Ganger soon equipped by the Buda Hand Car of American manufacture. The hand car was for inspection purposes through daily examination of the whole length.
Introduction in the Severn Valley area[edit | edit source]
The system was steadily introduced into the Severn Valley area. Two lines were introduced from 5th June 1905. Firstly, the 4-mile Madeley Branch from Buildwas, 5 telephones for £82, and secondly, the 14-mile Tenbury Branch between Bewdley and Tenbury Wells. This involved the provision of 11 huts with telephones and occupation keys, 5 signal boxes so equipped and a telephone only at Bewdley North box. This cost £326 with one Velocipede car (for the Ganger based at Cleobury Mortimer) and three mechanical trolleys costing £44 for the four. The four gangs of five men were replaced by one gang of six and two gangs of five men. The saving was estimated at £200 per annum. Control instruments were used here from 23rd October 1911. The 17-mile Much Wenlock Branch (Buildwas to Marsh Farm Junction) became operational from 14th May 1906 following the introduction of electric train staff working throughout (previously only as far as Much Wenlock). 23 telephones were installed costing £463 – the anticipated saving was £306 per annum. 5 gangs of 5 men were replaced by 3 gangs totalling 17 men with two displaced joining Buildwas Gang No 110. A note dated 6th March 1922 recorded that, in the case of Gang No 75, based at Much Wenlock covering 6 miles, the 1 in 40 gradient proved too much for the mechanical trolley.
The Severn Valley line itself was to follow from 23rd September 1907. In this case it was the 28 miles between Highley and Burnt Mill Junction at Shrewsbury – the Superintendent of the Line would not allow a change south of Highley – probably due to the intermittent scheduling of extra coal trains serving the Wyre Forest collieries. The p-way sections north of Highley were said to have 41 men across 9 gangs. This was reduced to 6 gangs. The estimated savings were £312 per annum and the cost for installing 37 telephones and occupation keys was £767.
The next big innovation was the introduction of the 'Motor Economic System'. In 1928 a trial was conducted of a 'rationalised economic system' on the line between Cirencester and Rushey Platt Junction. This consisted of providing petrol-driven trolleys instead of those worked by hand. It was therefore known as the 'motor economic system'. The Ganger was provided with an Inspection car and the gang a motor trolley. It enabled a trailer trolley to be attached to the ganger trolley which could carry tools, sleepers, chairs and other material to be transported to the work site. The trolley was fitted with sanding apparatus, fire extinguisher, Klaxon horn and two red lamps. The Ganger's car could be moved from the line by one man while the gang trolley needed two or three men. While there was no saving in men, jobs could be done more quickly and more efficiently.
The Severn Valley branches were converted in the 1930s with Much Wenlock and Madeley initially on 14th September and 5th October 1931. The Severn Valley line north of Buildwas Junction followed later that decade and the Tenbury line as late as 18th September 1939. From Highley to Buildwas is believed to have retained its mechanical trolleys during GWR days. The final line to have been changed to the 'economic' system was that between Cleobury Mortimer and Ditton Priors from 27th March 1933. In this case, there were no key boxes only 13 telephones costing £90. The 3 gangs were reduced to 2 with 10 men instead of 12. The Engineering Department’s contribution was £195 for 2 mechanical trolleys and 2 velocipede cars although they were looking into acquiring redundant Much Wenlock cars as that branch had been changed to the ‘motor economic’ system. The estimated saving was £200 per annum although the Admiralty were to take over the line from September 1938.
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
Article prepared by Chris Haynes, using sources:
- Articles in the Great Western Railway Magazine for October 1909 (by AG Smith) and June 1932 (by FC Crook)
- Great Western Aspects – Image and Information (by Kevin Robertson) which draws heavily on the Chief Engineer's Office publication 'GWR Economic System of Maintenance'.