GWR 60841 Bogie Bolster
|GWRGreat Western Railway 60841 Bogie Bolster|
GWRGreat Western Railway 60841 at Kidderminster (Gareth Price)
|Built By||GWRGreat Western Railway Swindon|
|Telegraphic code||GANE A|
|1975||Arrived on SVRSevern Valley Railway|
|1985||GWRGreat Western Railway 150 main line appearance|
Design and service
Within the GWRGreat Western Railway Diagram Book, Diagram J covered rail and timber bolster wagons, principally the MACAW and the larger GANE. The original GANE first built in 1899 as Diagram J1 was a 45ft bogie wagon with a 40-ton capacity. The introduction of 60ft rails in the late 1920s eventually saw a longer version introduced in 1935 as Diagram J26, still with a 40-ton capacity but with the length increased to 62ft over the headstocksThe underframe member across each end of a wagon carrying the buffers and coupling. Known as the Bufferbeam on a locomotive.. The same wagons produced under this Diagram were designated GANE A where used by the Engineering Department and MACAW J for other stock. Curiously, although 36 of the former were produced and only 10 of the latter, the code 'GANE A' did not appear in the 1939 Telegraph Message Code Book.
60841 was built at Swindon in 1935 to Diagram J26 and saw service with the GWRGreat Western Railway and BRBritish Rail or British Railways(W).
60841 was purchased from Swindon by SVR(H) in July 1975.
In 1985, 60841 appeared on the main line when it was used in the GW 150 demonstration freight train which ran to Newport behind GWR freight loco 2857.
The wagon was re-decked by the Wagon Department in November 1988. As of 2018[update] it is stored out of use awaiting overhaul.
- List of goods wagons
- BR 996730 Rail Carrier (A BRBritish Rail or British Railways-built version of the GANE A)
- ↑ Atkins, Beard & Tourret (2013) pp. 190-199, 209.
- ↑ SVRSevern Valley Railway Stock Book Ninth Edition
- ↑ SVRSevern Valley Railway News 78
- ↑ SVRSevern Valley Railway News 92