The 1947 GWRGreat Western Railway Working Timetable for the Severn Valley Line mentions Exley's Wharf as one of three wharves at Jackfield sidings prohibited to engines in the Blue group and all outside cylinder engines. It makes a similar reference to Doughty and Prestage's Wharf. It appears that these were the same wharf[note 1] as described below.
William Exley & Sons mined red clay in the area. They had established a tile works at the Rock at Jackfield before 1840. This appears to be the "Rock Tile Works" shown on the OSOrdnance Survey map. In 1891 Exleys also sunk a clay mine and began constructing a large brick and tile works at nearby Coalport.
In November 1905 the GWRGreat Western Railway approved the extension of the sidings and provision of a wharf for Prestage & Co at Jackfield sidings. Prestage & Co owned the Milburgh Tileries seen at the bottom of the OSOrdnance Survey map extract.
The 1902 OSOrdnance Survey map shows tramways leading to the Severn Valley Branch from both the Milburgh Tileries and Rock Tile Works, suggesting both companies made use of the same siding. By 1925 only the latter tramway was still in place. The tramway ended at the private siding between the middle and south ground frames.
Other local businesses served by the Severn Valley branch in the area covered by the map extract are:
- W. P. Jones' Tileries ("Brick & Tile Works" at the top of the map) which was served by a similar private siding and wharf, situated between the north and middle ground frames.
- Doughty's Tile Works ("Brick & Tile Works" in the centre of the map).
- Craven Dunnill tile works ("Jackfield Encaustic Tile Works")
- The term 'wharf' refers to a platform adjacent to the siding where goods could be loaded and unloaded, rather than to a river wharf.
- Broseley Local History Society web site
- Broseley on British History Online
- Marshall (1989) p. 108.
- OS 25 in Shropshire LI.2 Revised: 1925, Published: 1927