Doughty and Prestage's Wharf
In November 1905 the GWRGreat Western Railway approved the extension of the sidings and provision of a wharf[note 1] for Prestage & Co at Jackfield sidings. Prestage & Co mined red clay, tile clay and fireclay in the area. Milburgh Tileries (at the bottom of the map) was owned by the Prestage family. After the First World War Donald Prestage expanded the company by acquiring the Broseley Tileries (located in the centre of Broseley) to become the Prestage and Broseley Tileries Ltd.
John Doughty & Sons mined red clay in the area.  Doughty's Tile Works ("Brick & Tile Works" in the centre of the map) lay between Milburgh Tileries and the Severn Valley Branch.
The 1902 OSOrdnance Survey map shows tramways leading to the Severn Valley Branch from both the Milburgh Tileries and Rock Tile Works. By 1925 only the latter was still in place. The tramway ends at the private siding between the middle and south ground frames.
The 1947 GWRGreat Western Railway Working Timetable for the Severn Valley Line mentions Doughty and Prestage's Wharf as one of three wharves at the sidings prohibited to engines in the Blue group and all outside cylinder engines.
Other local businesses served by the Severn Valley branch in the area covered by the map extract are:
- W. P. Jones' Tileries ("Brick & Tile Works" at the top of the map) which was served by a similar private siding and wharf.
- Craven Dunnill tile works ("Jackfield Encaustic Tile Works")
- The term 'wharf' refers to a platform adjacent to the siding where goods could be loaded and unloaded, rather than to a river wharf.
- Marshall (1989) p. 108.
- Broseley Local History Society web site
- Donald Prestage on Salopian Art Pottery
- OS 25 in Shropshire LI.2 Revised: 1925, Published: 1927