Spring Steam Gala
Visiting locomotives are also often utilised in the days after the gala for private photographic charters and passenger work.
The first Spring Steam Gala was a one day event held on 10 April 1976 and attended by more than 2,500 travellers. It became a two day event the following year although still staged in April, a format maintained during the 1980s and 1990s. Early galas used home engines only, with guest locomotives appearing regularly from 1992.In 2000 the Spring Steam Gala moved to March, the first being a 3-day event on 8-10 March 2000 advertised as a 'Branch Line Gala Weekend'. A number of subsequent galas were also branded as Branch Line Galas, some taking local themes such as 'Somerset and Dorset' or 'Welsh'.
- 2004 and 2011 No Galas due to engineering work.
- 2008 No Gala due to the 2007 Storm Damage, although guest locomotive S&DJRSomerset & Dorset Joint Railway, jointly operated by the London and South Western and Midland Railways (later Southern and London Midland and Scottish Railways) 88 took part in the reopening weekend.
- 2013 The Spring Steam Gala was hit by heavy snow, resulting in attendances being around half of the numbers expected. In 2018 heavy snow hit the third day (Sunday). The Railway still managed to run the services as planned.
- 2020 Due to work on Falling Sands Viaduct closing the line between Bewdley and Kidderminster, the gala was retimed towards the end of April before being one of the events cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
From time-to-time the SVRSevern Valley RailwaySVRA:Severn Valley Railway AssociationSVRS:Severn Valley Railway Society publishes the number of Gala passengers, according to the method of counting these which has varied over time (for example, since 2010 documents sent to shareholders became valid as a ticket which did not need to be exchanged for travel.)
The following is an incomplete record.
|Year||Number of passengers||Reference||Notes|
|2008||No Gala following the 2007 storm damage.|
|2011||No Gala due to engineering work.|
|2013||The Gala was hit by heavy snow, resulting in reduced attendance|
|2016||3,537||Depressed number because of the non-appearance at the gala of announced visitor 6990 Witherslack Hall|
|2018||4,541||The Gala was hit by heavy snow, resulting in reduced attendance|
See alsoSteam Locomotives visiting the SVR for galas
SVR Passenger numbers
- SVRSevern Valley RailwaySVRA:Severn Valley Railway AssociationSVRS:Severn Valley Railway Society News 39
- SVRSevern Valley RailwaySVRA:Severn Valley Railway AssociationSVRS:Severn Valley Railway Society News 131
- SVRSevern Valley RailwaySVRA:Severn Valley Railway AssociationSVRS:Severn Valley Railway Society News 138,141
- SVR Forum shareholders' Passes thread
- 'Spring Gala 2012', SVR Online thread
- NBINotice Board Issue. The SVR's on-line method of circulating information to working members.