Mr Griffith's Sand Siding at Buildwas
The extract from the OSOrdnance Survey 25 inch map of Shropshire above, surveyed in 1882 and published in 1883 shows the layout of Buildwas station before the siding was provided. The station's exchange sidings lay between the station and Abbeygrange Farm and were accessed via the Much Wenlock / Coalbrookdale Branches. One of the sidings continued under the single-track Severn Valley and double-track Coalbrookdale lines (bottom right) to reach a GWRGreat Western Railway pumping station on the River Severn. The area between that siding and the rest of the station's exchange sidings is described as 'Sand pits'.
The extract from the OSOrdnance Survey 25 inch Map above, revised in 1901 and published in 1902, shows the same area after the siding was provided. The former 'Sand pits' have become 'Old sand pits'. A new sand pit has opened further south, with its own siding accessed via a reversal from the pumping station siding.
The final map above is extracted from the 1:10,000 OSOrdnance Survey Map surveyed in 1954 and shows the layout after Ironbridge power station was built. The pumping station siding is no longer in situ. The sand siding is still present and has been extended, but is now accessed via an extended headshunt.
- Private sidings connected to the Severn Valley Railway
- Pre-1963 map
- List of historical Signal Boxes and Ground Frames
- Marshall (1989) p. 111.