GWR 43989 Cylindrical Tank Wagon
|GWRGreat Western Railway 43989 Cylindrical Tank Wagon|
GWRGreat Western Railway 43989 Cylindrical Tank Wagon
|Built By||GWRGreat Western Railway Swindon|
|Other Numbers||DW 43989, ADW 43989|
|Type||4-wheel tank wagon|
43989 was built at Swindon, the first of 51 four-wheel tank wagons constructed between 1895 and 1911 to Diagam DD3, with the 3108 gallon tanks being built by the GWRGreat Western Railway locomotive department. Originally intended for carrying oil, creosote and similar liquids for departmental use, after almost 100 years, it ended its working days storing engine coolant at Reading Diesel Depot.
It was Designated (Reg. No. 1997/19) by the Railway Heritage Committee at its meeting on 25 July 1997 as being historically significant and should be permanently preserved. English Welsh & Scottish Railway Ltd disposed of 43989 to The GWR 813 Preservation Fund on 26 September 1997.
43989 is currently in the custody of Kidderminster Railway Museum where it is stored awaiting overhaul.
- Atkins, Beard & Tourret (2013) pp. 39, 503.
- GWR813 web site
- Railway Heritage Committee (web archive)