Caledonian Railway / LMS 304543 Covered Goods Van

From SVR Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
CR Goods Van 304543

This 10 ton Goods Van was built at the St Rollox works of the Caledonian Railway and was originally numbered 4543. It also saw service as LMSLondon Midland & Scottish Railway 304543 following Grouping in 1923, and was later used by Cadbury’s, from where it arrived on the SVRSevern Valley RailwaySVRA:Severn Valley Railway AssociationSVRS:Severn Valley Railway Society in June 1967.

The van is seen in the photograph at Hampton Loade in its current LMSLondon Midland & Scottish Railway livery, where it had been in use as a store.

It and sister 302080 left the SVRSevern Valley RailwaySVRA:Severn Valley Railway AssociationSVRS:Severn Valley Railway Society in May 2016 for a new home at Ferryhill Railway Heritage Trust.[1] The move of 4543 was by rail to Kidderminster, dead slow and strapped up to secure the cracked sole bar reportedly damaged during shunting.

Its role as a store has been taken by GWR Fruit C 2815.

See also

Wagons formerly resident on the SVR

References

  1. SVR Forum thread

Railway Heritage Register Wagon Survey
SVRSevern Valley RailwaySVRA:Severn Valley Railway AssociationSVRS:Severn Valley Railway Society Stock Book Eighth Edition

Links