Formerly resident on the SVRSevern Valley Railway, GWRGreat Western Railway RS38 is thought to be the last steam crane built for the GWRGreat Western Railway and supplied by Joseph Booth & Bros of Rodley, Leeds in 1947. The usual lifting capacity is 2½ tons. In GWRGreat Western Railway/BRBritish Rail or British Railways service RS38 was paired with two match trucks, DW38 and DW39, both built in 1917 at Swindon. It was used for coaling and ash disposal at Stourbridge MPDMotive Power Depot until its closure by BRBritish Rail or British Railways in 1967.
Following the closure of Stourbridge MPDMotive Power Depot, the crane and match trucks were acquired by the Severn Valley Railway Company, arriving on the SVRSevern Valley Railway on 13 April 1968. All three were repainted in GWRGreat Western Railway livery in 1971. The crane was briefly used for locomotive coaling and subsequently for P Way and other engineering activities, including the refurbishment of the Cleobury Road Bridge in 1973 (pictured), during which it failed, requiring the remaining rails to be moved into place by hand. A larger 6-ton crane DW35 was acquired in 1974, following which RS38 and its match trucks left for the Llangollen Railway in 1978.
- SVRSevern Valley Railway Stock Book Sixth Edition
- SVRSevern Valley Railway News 31
- SVRA Forum