WD 314153 Well Wagon
|WD 314153 Well Wagon|
WD Well Wagon 314153
|Other Numbers||WD 1150, E314153|
|Type||Bogie Bolster Well Wagon|
|Telegraphic code||Warwell / Bogie Bolster B|
|1980||Preserved on SVR|
314153 was acquired from Patent Shaft by the Severn Valley Railway Association, arriving on the SVR from Wednesbury in November 1980. Although initially appearing in a sorry state, it was put to use housing boilers, the first of which was that of 5690 Leander during the locomotive’s last major overhaul.
314153 finally underwent an overhaul in summer 1994. As well as being stripped and repainted, a number of mechanical issues present since arrival on the SVR were addressed. One of the bogies which had been fitted back to front was refitted correctly, enabling the hand brake to be made to work. The wagon was provided with a complete through vacuum pipe for possible future working on the line, although the brake cylinders were not connected. The overhaul also included the fitting of replacement axlebox covers and repairs to a cracked axlebox.
314153 has continued in use as a boiler storage wagon at Bridgnorth, as seen in the photograph outside Bridgnorth boiler shop. As evidenced by the coal stored on the wagon, it is occasionally used as an outdoor test bed for boilers, with live steam tests being required before boilers are certified for use in service.
- SVR Stock Book Ninth Edition
- Railway Heritage Register Wagon Survey
- SVR News 111
- T. Wilmore on SVR Unofficial Facebook Group, accessed 2017-10-18.
- SVR News 113