Difference between revisions of "Stourport"

From SVR Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
(add photo)
(Gallery: add photo)
Line 24: Line 24:
 
<gallery>
 
<gallery>
 
File:StourportStation1910.jpg | Stourport Station in 1910
 
File:StourportStation1910.jpg | Stourport Station in 1910
 +
File:Stourport signal box 1968.jpg | Stourport signal box in 1968
 
</gallery>
 
</gallery>
 
  
 
==Sources==
 
==Sources==

Revision as of 06:24, 8 May 2016

1948 aerial photograph of Stourport. The station is at top centre, the SVRSevern Valley RailwaySVRA:Severn Valley Railway AssociationSVRS:Severn Valley Railway Society passing from left (Bewdley) to right (Hartlebury). The River Severn, Stourport Power Station (plus sidings), and canal basins on the Staffordshire and Worcestershire canal are also visible. Image from Britain from Above
Extract from 1951 OS Map showing Stourport
Next stations pre-closure
Towards Hartlebury Towards Shrewsbury
Hartlebury (3 miles) Bewdley (2½ miles)
via Burlish Halt (from 1930)

Stourport Station

Stourport Station was located 3 miles from Hartlebury and 37¾ miles from Shrewsbury. It was considered one of the principal stations on the line, with two platforms and a passing loop from opening in 1862 as well as a small goods yard and goods shed. The station building was almost identical to those at Bewdley and Buildwas. The location of the station just a short way north of the town made it perhaps the most convenient of the Severn Valley Railway’s stations relative to the town it served.

Stourport station was officially renamed 'Stourport-on-Severn' in 1934, possibly to avoid confusion with nearby Stourbridge.

The Shropshire & Worcestershire Electric Power Co built a power station at Stourport after the First World War. However a direct rail connection to the Severn Valley Railway was only opened in 1940, coal deliveries before then being mainly via the River Severn or the Staffordshire & Worcestershire Canal. Once opened, the rail connection remained until January 1981, prolonging the life of the southern end of the Severn Valley Railway.

The extract from Ordnance Survey Map SO87, surveyed 1938 - 1949, published 1951, shows the branch line between Stourport Power Station (bottom) and Stourport Station (marked ‘Sta’). The line continues northwards towards Burlish Halt (top).

The area formerly occupied by the station is now part of a housing estate.

Gallery

Sources

The Severn Valley Railway, John Marshall
Severn Valley Railway, A View from the Past, MA Vanns

See also

The Severn Valley Railway under GWR/BR ownership