Severn Valley Railway Timeline 2020-2029
Significant events in the history of the Severn Valley Railway in preservation between 2020 and the present date are set out below.
Information on current events on the SVRSevern Valley Railway can be found here.
2020 saw the 50th anniversary of the official opening of the SVRSevern Valley Railway. A ‘must-do’ engineering project was starting, an overhaul of Falling Sands Viaduct, with trains restricted to the Bridgnorth to Bewdley section from 30 December 2019.
- Winter works included track relaying to effectively join up the two previous relayings between Bewdley Tunnel and Falling Sands Viaduct. The opprtunity was taken to install a new point at Foley Park as part of a long term plan to develop the area.
- 3 January was the 50th anniversary of the final regular timetabled BRBritish Rail or British Railways passenger services between Bewdley and Hartlebury and Kidderminster.
- A new buffet building was installed at Bewdley.
- New cylinder patterns were produced for 7802 Bradley Manor.
- The SVRSevern Valley Railway announced a new Loyalty Pass to replace the Annual Family Pass, now available to individuals, couples, less-able visitors or families.
- The Footbridge outside Bridgnorth Station was closed for repairs to the damaged holding down bolts discovered in 2018.
- Storm Dennis, with heavy rain falling on already saturated ground, contributed to record highs on the River Severn and consequent widespread flooding. The SVRSevern Valley Railway was fortunately mostly unscathed, although access to the SVRSevern Valley Railway was disrupted during half-term running from 15 to 23 February.
- On 25 February PPM50 Parry People Mover Class 999 No. 999900 visited for testing. It was previously tested in 2002.
Steam locomotives used
A table of steam locomotives used since 2020 is shown below. Where detailed mileage records were not published in SVRSevern Valley Railway News, locomotives used are marked 'X'. For locomotives hired in, the table identifies whether they were present either for the Summer (S) or Winter (W).
|7802 Bradley Manor|
|7812 Erlestoke Manor|
|34027 Taw Valley||X|
|6960 Raveningham Hall||X||On hire 2020|
SVRSevern Valley Railway News unless otherwise stated.