Ruston and Hornsby 165hp Diesel Shunter 418789 Archibald
|Ruston and Hornsby 165hp Diesel Shunter 418789 Archibald|
One of Archibald's nameplates
|Built By||Ruston & Hornsby|
|Power type||Diesel Mechanical|
|Other Numbers||Works No 418789/1957|
|Designed By||Ruston & Hornsby|
|1981||Arrived on SVR|
Built by Ruston and Hornsby of Lincoln as Works No 418789 of 1957, it was delivered new on 6 December 1957 to Metropolitan-Cammell Carriage & Wagon Co. Ltd., Old Park, Wednesbury. The locomotive was registered by the British Transport Commission as No. 2448 in 1957. In 1964 it was sold to Patent Shaft Steelworks, also of Wednesbury.
418789 was one of four Ruston and Hornsby shunters acquired from Patent Shaft in 1980, arriving on the SVR on 29 October in that year where it was Christened ‘Archibald'. Initially, Pete Cherry owned Archibald. However, when brought to the SVR, the Railway were not really aware which of the locomotives were any good. It transpired that Archibald and sister locomotive William were not going to be kept long-term, and that Diesel Electric 418596 would stay as Bridgnorth shunter rather than be used by the P-Way as was originally thought. At that point ownership of Archibald and the Diesel Electric locomotives was simply swapped.
Archibald saw only brief service on the Railway. It was later used as a source of spares for the other Rustons, before being sold for scrap at CF Booth in Rotherham. At Booth's, it was exchanged for BR Class 11 12099 by The Kidderminster Shunter Fund. Archibald was cut up in April 1990. Some parts from Archibald were used in the overhaul of ”Red Ruston” 319290 at Kidderminster in spring 1991.
- SVR News 59
- SVR News 133 p. 62. "The Early SVR Shunters" (Chris Magner)
- SVR Stock Book Eighth Edition
- Pete Cherry
- SVR News 133, "The Early SVR shunters", Chris Magner