Welcome to the Severn Valley Railway Wiki
For 101 years between 1862 and 1963, the Severn Valley Railway formed part of the national railway network, running for 40 miles between Hartlebury and Shrewsbury. Established as a separate company, it was mainly operated by the Great Western Railway (GWR) and later by British Railways (BR).
The present day Severn Valley Railway (SVR) was established in 1965 to preserve part of the line as a heritage railway. Today it has six stations and two halts and runs for 16 miles along the Severn Valley between Bridgnorth in Shropshire and Kidderminster in Worcestershire, following the course of the River Severn for much of its route. Train services are hauled predominantly by steam locomotives, regularly supplemented by a diesel multiple unit and diesel locomotive hauled trains.
This unofficial website is a project aimed to collect information and record events relating to the SVR, both past and present.
For timetables, fare information, and news about special events, please visit the SVR Official Website. Other news and information of interest to members, shareholders and enthusiasts can be found on SVRLive.
Categories of article
History of the Severn Valley Railway
- History of The Severn Valley Railway under GWR/BR ownership
- History of the SVR in preservation since 1965
Current events on the SVR
Information about the SVR
- Signal boxes
- Locomotives, carriages and other rolling stock
- Bridges, level crossings, and other infrastructure
- From The Window: Things to see along the SVR
- Gradient profile and mileages
- Shops and sales coaches
- Preservation groups with an SVR connection
- Links to other web sites with an SVR connection
- Paintings of the Severn Valley Railway
- Models of the Severn Valley Railway
- Image Collections
- List of film and TV productions filmed on the SVR
- Tales from the Severn Valley
- The Severn Valley Railway Station Truck
- Engineer's Line References
- What's nearby (Requires GPS enabled device)
Unsurprisingly, there are a large number of questions about the SVR, both in pre-preservation days and for a number of historical items since then. Take a visit down to Query Corner to see if you have a recollection relating to some long forgotten event, or know of a reliable source (maybe an early edition of the SVR News?) that might have the information we need!
Adding to this Wiki
This site, or "wiki", is a collaborative effort, and anyone who has any knowledge relating to the SVR should feel free to contribute. Once you have created a user account and logged in, you can modify any page by clicking the "Edit" button in the top right hand corner. For some tips on how to format pages, and some guidelines on how to make this wiki accessible can be found on Tips for contributing to the SVR Wiki.
Alternatively, if you don't feel confident editing this Wiki (although there is no reason you shouldn't!!), each article also has a "Discussion" page, which can be accessed by clicking the relevant button in the top left hand corner. This allows you to make additions, suggestions, or corrections to a page without making any change to the article itself.