LNER 43612 Open Third
|LNER 43612 Open Third|
LNER Open Third 43612
|Built By||LNER York|
|Other numbers||13366, E13366E, 042197|
|1979||Preserved on SVR|
LNER Gresley Open Third (TO) No 43612 was built at York in 1934.
It was renumbered 13366 as part of the LNER's 1943 re-numbering scheme. On Nationalisation in 1947, BR initially allocated an E prefix to indicate its LNER origin, with a further re-numbering to E13366E after 1951.
It was withdrawn from BR service and transferred to Internal User stock in May 1962 as a staff coach, receiving the number 042197. It was used as an office until condemned in 1977.
Following a lengthy and comprehensive restoration at Bridgnorth and Kidderminster, the carriage first appeared in traffic in September 1996.
Early in 2016 ownership was transferred to the SVR Charitable trust. It is scheduled for overhaul at Kidderminster Carriage Works in 2017 when its hoped that minimal structural work will be needed. However the roof canvass dates from the mid-1980s and not surprisingly a new one will be required, together with routine work to ensure that the roof planks are firmly attached to the framework. The 16 tables fitted as part of its 1996 overhaul were, for reasons of cost, not of a standard railway type and are now life expired, so a replacement set is on order, this time following the original robust LNER design that has been successfully used since 1997 in the other 3 SVR based TTOs.
Railway Heritage Register Carriage Survey
LNER (SVR) Coach Fund