LMS Stanier Class 5 45110
|LMS Stanier Class 5 45110|
45110 at Highley
|Built By||Vulcan Foundry, Newton-le-Willows|
|Status||Out of service|
|Designed By||William Stanier|
|1970||Arrived on SVR in working order|
|1971||Named "R.A.F. Biggin Hill"|
|1980||Withdrawn for overhaul|
|2008||Withdrawn for overhaul|
|Tractive effort||25,455 lb|
|Pressure||225 lb/sq in|
45110 is an LMS Stanier 'Black Five' 4-6-0 mixed traffic locomotive. It worked the return portion of the ‘Fifteen Guinea Special’, the last steam passenger service run by British Railways.
45110 in Service
The LMS Stanier Class 5 was an immediate success when introduced into service in 1934. It was a mixed traffic locomotive that could handle anything from express passenger traffic to goods trains. 842 were built, more than any other class of locomotive before or since, and they worked all over the LMS network. Following nationalisation they were classified 5MT by British Railways and quickly became used throughout the country. They were never painted any colour but black, earning them the nickname ‘Black 5s’. The design of the British Railways Standard Class 5 was based on the Black 5.
45110 was built by the Vulcan Foundry as works number 4653/1934, and entered service in June 1935 as LMS 5110. Following nationalisation it was renumbered as 45110 by BR in 1949, and it was one of the very last steam locomotives still in use by BR when it finished its working life at Lostock Hall Shed, Preston.
The last ‘official’ train run by BR was a ‘farewell to steam’ special on 11 August 1968, 8 days after regular steam services had ended. The special train ‘1T57’ became known as the ‘Fifteen Guinea Special’ after the price of tickets. 45110 took the train from Liverpool to Manchester, from where 70013 Oliver Cromwell continued to Carlisle. Two other Black 5s (44781 and 44871) began the return leg, while the honour of the final return to Liverpool fell to 45110, which thereby entered history as the last BR-owned standard gauge steam locomotive to haul a service on the national network.
45110 in preservation
45110 was initially saved for preservation by "The Stanier Black 5 Locomotive Preservation Society", mainly through fund raising efforts of its President Mr David Porter, Principal of the “Flairavia Flying Club” at Biggin Hill Civil Airport. On 8 January 1969 the locomotive was hauled ‘dead’ from Lostock Hall to Clapham Sidings. Three days later 45110 was moved again to a temporary home at the privately rented former BR Ashford shed. There it was worked on by members of the Flying Club and steamed on several open days, during one of which it first carried temporary name plates bearing the name “R.A.F. Biggin Hill”.
It became clear that a new home for the locomotive at a heritage railway was needed and Mr Porter considered the SVR to be the most suitable. 45110 left Ashford on 17 August 1970, being hauled dead to Bescot on 19 August. There the motion was reattached and a fire lit, so when the locomotive arrived at Bewdley on 20 August 1970, it continued to Bridgnorth under its own steam. Minimum work was required before 45110 entered service on Sunday 20 September 1970. A naming ceremony was held on 12 September 1971, at which the locomotive was formally named “R.A.F. Biggin Hill”.
David Porter (who was also associated with 417 Invicta) became a Director of SVR(H) when it was first established in late 1972. On 11 August 1973, with his agreement, 45110 took part in a Derby Litchurch Lane Carriage Works "Open Day". The locomotive travelled there and back in steam with LMS 24617 Corridor Composite, LMS 26986 Brake Third Corridor and Stove R 32919, thereby becoming the first Severn Valley locomotive and rolling stock to work unassisted on the BR network in preservation. The move also resulted in the locomotive leaving facing south and returning facing north, thus becoming only the second locomotive on the SVR to work facing in each direction.[note 1]
During 1975 45110 was one of the locomotives used in the filming of The Seven-Per-Cent Solution. Shortly before that time 45110 was put up for sale, and although it was not SVR policy to own locomotives, the joint Boards decided that it should stay on the SVR if possible, so an exception was made and the purchase of 45110 was successfully negotiated. The terms agreed were £19,000 with a 25% down payment and the balance payable over three years, subject to signature of the film contract. The decision caused great upset amongst members at the time, with threats of petitions being raised and membership cards torn up.
The first period of service ended in 1980 after recording 21,185 miles in use. Following overhaul, a second period of service began in 1998. This lasted until late 2008, including a 6-month boiler ticket extension which enabled the locomotive to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the end of BR main line steam. During this period a number of main line appearances were made as follows:
|Date||Tour name||Route||Notes||Web||SVR News|
|26 Sep 1998||Rose of Shires||Bescot - York + return||UKS||129-13|
|17 Oct 1998||Blackpool Five||Shrewsbury-Blackpool + return||UKS||128-76|
|24 Oct 1998||Royal Duchy||Exeter - Plymouth-Newquay||D/H with 48773||UKS||129-12|
|31 Oct 1998||Stannary Staniers||Ealing Broadway-Penzance||D/H with 48773||UKS|
|07 Nov 1998||Staffordshire Terrier||Birmingham -Chester-Wolverhampton||UKS||128-76|
|14 Nov 1998||Colne Dee Express||Nottingham-Chester + return||UKS|
|28 Nov 1998||Lakes Express||Crewe-Shap-Carlisle + return||D/H with 45407||UKS||129-12|
|05 Dec 1998||Lincolnian||Dorridge-Lincoln + return||UKS|
|19 Dec 1998||Christmas Chester Chuffer||Birmingham Int'l-Chester + return||UKS|
|30 Jan 1999||Merseyman||Bescot-Crewe-Liverpool-Crewe-Walsall-Bescot||UKS||129-52|
|07 Mar 1999||Ynys Mon Express||Crewe-Holyhead + return||UKS||129-13|
|21 May 1999||Private Charter||Harrow-Amersham (2 trips)||UKS|
|22 May 1999||Steam on the Met||Amersham-Watford shuttles||UKS|
|23 May 1999||Steam on the Met||Amersham-Watford shuttles||UKS|
|29 May 1999||Steam on the Met||Amersham-Watford shuttles||UKS|
|30 May 1999||Steam on the Met||Amersham-Watford shuttles||UKS|
|31 May 1999||Steam on the Met||Amersham-Watford shuttles||UKS||130-38|
|15 Aug 1999||Mayflower||Bristol-Plymouth-Bristol||D/H with 45407, ran as scheduled||UKS|
|02 Oct 1999||Welsh Dragon||Birmingham Int-Bescot- Llandrindod- Port Talbot-Newport||Driver Ray Churchill, Fireman Arthur Bromley||UKS||132-45|
|23 Oct 1999||Fishburn Flyer||Crewe-Carnforth-Crewe||To be confirmed||UKS|
|13 Nov 1999||North Wales Venturer||Crewe-Holyhead-Crewe||To be confirmed||UKS|
|11 Dec 1999||Midlander||Nuneaton-Lickey-Gloucester+return, Bromsgrove-Blackwell*||*80079 as banker||UKS||132-46|
|18 Dec 1999||Christmas Chester Chuffer||Birmingham Int-Rugeley-Chester -Wrexham-Birmingham Int||UKS, Six Bells Junction|
|05 Feb 2000||Peak Forester||Derby - Buxton - Crewe||SBJ|
|27 May 2000||Laird of Stranraer Day 1||Crewe - Carnforth (tender swap)-Glasgow||D/H with 45407. Borrowed tender from 48151||SBJ|
|29 May 2000||Laird of Stranraer Day 3||Glasgow Central - WCML - Lockerbie Up Passenger Loop*||*Failed with leaking tubes (SBJ has date as 28th)||SBJ||133-29|
|For further information on sources and references, see The Severn Valley Railway on the main line|
Following expiry of the second 'ticket' in 2008, 45110 moved on loan to Barrow Hill Roundhouse for a period on static display there. In October 2013 the locomotive returned to the SVR and was moved into The Engine House, taking the place of 4930 Hagley Hall which had moved to Bridgnorth for overhaul. It was moved to Kidderminster to take part in the 'Last Days of Steam' event on 4 August 2018, marking the 50th anniversary of the 'end of steam' in the BR era, and is usually stored in Kidderminster Carriage Shed. It is now owned by SVR(H).
- SVR News 18, 19
- SVR News 21
- SVR News 26
- SVR News 29
- SVR News 115, “North and South before the Turntable”, Quentin Haigh
- SVR News 37, p.3.
- SVR News 37, “The Unpopular Decision”, David C Williams (Editor) p.35.
- 46443 arrived facing south but returned from an open day at Tyseley in September 1969 facing north, the only locomotive to be turned before the SVR opened.