| LMS 27270 Third Open
LMS Third Open 27270
|| LMS Wolverton
|| In service
|| QF, TO
|| 56 third
||Arrived on SVR
has three examples of the LMS
Third Open (TO), which was designed by Sir William Stanier
. Building of this class began in 1938, but the Second Word War delayed the production of later batches. The LMS
Open Third carriage seats 56 passengers at tables either side of a central aisle.
27270 was built in March 1946 at Wolverton as lot number 1402 to diagram number 1999. It saw service with the LMS and later the BR London Midland Region as M27220M.
The SVR’s three LMS Third Opens, 27218, 27220 and 27270, were all rescued intact from Didcot Yard in 1968, arriving on 28 August with other vehicles. 27270 received a major rebuild in 1997/8. It is owned by SVR(H) and forms part of the LMS Maroon set (Set L).