Difference between revisions of "LMS 24617 Corridor Composite"

From SVR Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
m (Details added)
m
 
Line 10: Line 10:
 
|lot        = 1500
 
|lot        = 1500
 
|cartype    = [[:Category:BR Carriage classification codes#LMS Codes|CBC]], [[:Category: Carriage Type CK|CK]]
 
|cartype    = [[:Category:BR Carriage classification codes#LMS Codes|CBC]], [[:Category: Carriage Type CK|CK]]
 +
|length    = 60ft 0¾in
 +
|weight    = 30T
 
|seats      = 24 first, 18 third  
 
|seats      = 24 first, 18 third  
 
|built      = 1949
 
|built      = 1949
Line 26: Line 28:
 
}}Sir William Stanier was succeeded as CME of the LMS by C E Fairburn in 1944 and H G Ivatt in 1945. Although neither produced any new carriage designs, they did implement some of Stanier’s style changes.  Among those was the port-hole stock, echoing that used by the 1938 streamliners.  Following nationalisation in January 1948, BR continued to build LMS style carriages into the early 1950s.  
 
}}Sir William Stanier was succeeded as CME of the LMS by C E Fairburn in 1944 and H G Ivatt in 1945. Although neither produced any new carriage designs, they did implement some of Stanier’s style changes.  Among those was the port-hole stock, echoing that used by the 1938 streamliners.  Following nationalisation in January 1948, BR continued to build LMS style carriages into the early 1950s.  
  
Corridor Composite (CK) 24617 was built at Derby in June 1950, as lot number 1500 to diagram 2159.  The steel framing and all-welded construction gives a slightly more rounded profile than the earlier timber-framed stock. It has four First class and three Third class compartments, with a lavatory at each end.  It served on BR’s Western Region until 1968, when it was declared surplus to requirements by BR at Didcot only weeks after a full works overhaul.
+
==Service==
 +
Corridor Composite (CK) 24617 was built at Derby in June 1950, as lot number 1500 to diagram 2159.<ref>[[Bibliography#Other References|Jenkinson & Essery (1977)]] p. 110.</ref>   The steel framing and all-welded construction gives a slightly more rounded profile than the earlier timber-framed stock. It has four First class and three Third class compartments, with a lavatory at each end.  It served on BR’s Western Region until 1968, when it was declared surplus to requirements by BR at Didcot only weeks after a full works overhaul.
  
 +
==Preservation==
 
24617 arrived on the SVR from Didcot on 28 August 1968 with several other vehicles.  Former owning group the ‘LMS & BR Coach Fund’ donated all its vehicles to [[Severn Valley Railway Charitable Trust Ltd | The SVR Charitable Trust]] in 2007.  The Trust’s web site notes that 24617 has run in SVR service every season since 1968.  It forms part of [[Carriages#Set_L|the LMS Maroon set (Set L)]], notwithstanding that it was not built until after nationalisation.
 
24617 arrived on the SVR from Didcot on 28 August 1968 with several other vehicles.  Former owning group the ‘LMS & BR Coach Fund’ donated all its vehicles to [[Severn Valley Railway Charitable Trust Ltd | The SVR Charitable Trust]] in 2007.  The Trust’s web site notes that 24617 has run in SVR service every season since 1968.  It forms part of [[Carriages#Set_L|the LMS Maroon set (Set L)]], notwithstanding that it was not built until after nationalisation.
  

Latest revision as of 14:26, 11 October 2019

LMSLondon Midland & Scottish Railway 24617 Corridor CompositeCarriage having more than one class of seating, ie First and Third or latterly First and Standard.
BR LMS Ivatt "CBC" No.24617 (6901399159).jpg
LMSLondon Midland & Scottish Railway 24617 Corridor CompositeCarriage having more than one class of seating, ie First and Third or latterly First and Standard.
Built By BRBritish Rail or British Railways Derby
Status In service
Number 24617
Other numbers W 24617 M
History
Built 1949
Designed By StanierWilliam Stanier, Chief Mechanical Engineer (CME) of the London, Midland and Scottish Railway 1932-1944
Diagram 2159
Lot 1500
Type CBC, CK
Length 60ft 0¾in
Weight 30T
Seats 24 first, 18 third
1972 Arrived on SVRSevern Valley RailwaySVRA:Severn Valley Railway AssociationSVRS:Severn Valley Railway Society

Carriages

Sir William StanierWilliam Stanier, Chief Mechanical Engineer (CME) of the London, Midland and Scottish Railway 1932-1944 was succeeded as CMEChief Mechanical Engineer of the LMSLondon Midland & Scottish Railway by C E FairburnCharles Edward Fairburn, Chief Mechanical Engineer (CME) of the London, Midland and Scottish Railway 1944-1945 in 1944 and H G IvattHenry George Ivatt, Chief Mechanical Engineer (CME) of the London, Midland and Scottish Railway 1946-1948. CME of BR (London Midland Region) 1948-1951 in 1945. Although neither produced any new carriage designs, they did implement some of StanierWilliam Stanier, Chief Mechanical Engineer (CME) of the London, Midland and Scottish Railway 1932-1944’s style changes. Among those was the port-hole stock, echoing that used by the 1938 streamliners. Following nationalisation in January 1948, BRBritish Rail or British Railways continued to build LMSLondon Midland & Scottish Railway style carriages into the early 1950s.

Service

Corridor CompositeCarriage having more than one class of seating, ie First and Third or latterly First and Standard. (CK) 24617 was built at Derby in June 1950, as lot number 1500 to diagram 2159.[1] The steel framing and all-welded construction gives a slightly more rounded profile than the earlier timber-framed stock. It has four First class and three Third class compartments, with a lavatory at each end. It served on BRBritish Rail or British Railways’s Western Region until 1968, when it was declared surplus to requirements by BRBritish Rail or British Railways at Didcot only weeks after a full works overhaul.

Preservation

24617 arrived on the SVRSevern Valley RailwaySVRA:Severn Valley Railway AssociationSVRS:Severn Valley Railway Society from Didcot on 28 August 1968 with several other vehicles. Former owning group the ‘LMSLondon Midland & Scottish Railway & BRBritish Rail or British Railways Coach Fund’ donated all its vehicles to The SVR Charitable Trust in 2007. The Trust’s web site notes that 24617 has run in SVRSevern Valley RailwaySVRA:Severn Valley Railway AssociationSVRS:Severn Valley Railway Society service every season since 1968. It forms part of the LMS Maroon set (Set L), notwithstanding that it was not built until after nationalisation.

See also

List of carriages

References

  1. Jenkinson & Essery (1977) p. 110.

SVRSevern Valley RailwaySVRA:Severn Valley Railway AssociationSVRS:Severn Valley Railway Society Stock Book 9th edition
Railway Heritage Register Carriage Survey

Links