GWR Small Prairie 4566
4566 in service
4566 is a GWR Churchward 4500 ' Small Prairie', a class of small mixed traffic locomotives mainly used on branch lines. The class was rated 4MT by British Railways.4566 was built in Swindon in 1924 and entered service at Newton Abbott. Post-War, the locomotive worked in the far Southwest, including allocations to St. Ives and Penzance sheds, before being withdrawn from service at Plymouth Laira shed by BR in April 1962.
4566 in preservation
4566 arrived at the SVR from Barry on 25 August 1970. Following restoration, the locomotive first entered service in 1975.
4566’s most recent overhaul was completed in late 2006. The locomotive is therefore expected to be withdrawn from service during 2016 at the end of the boiler’s ’10-year ticket’.
4566 is owned by the 4566 Group.
- The Great Western Archive retrieved 27 January 2015.