GWR Large Prairie 4141
4141 in service
4141 was out-shopped from Swindon in August 1946, and was based at the Gloucester (Horton Rd) depot for its entire working life which lasted just 17 years. Following withdrawal by BR in February 1963, 4141 was sent to Barry Scrapyard.
4141 in preservation
In 1970 SVR member Peter Waite expressed an interest in purchasing the locomotive, and with assistance from the ‘Hampton Loade Locomotive Fund’ 4141 arrived on the SVR on 6 January 1973 in a convoy which included 5164, 4930 Hagley Hall and 7819 Hinton Manor.
After several months at Bewdley, 4141 moved to Hampton Loade where restoration began on an isolated section of track. However progress was slow and had effectively stalled by 1988 when the locomotive was sold and moved away from the SVR. It returned to the SVR in 2007 for an appearance at the Spring Steam Gala.
After spells at the Llangollen and Great Central Railways, in October 2012 the locomotive moved to its latest home, the Epping Ongar Railway. In 2017 it was sent to Loughborough for overhaul.
Severn Valley Railway Stock Book, seventh edition
Epping Ongar Railway web site