GWR 9085 First Sleeper
|GWR 9085 First Sleeper|
9085 at Arley in July 2017
|Built By||BR(W) Swindon|
|1970||Preserved on SVR|
9085 was built by BR(W) at Swindon in 1951, one of a small batch of four first class sleeping cars (SLF) destined for the London to Milford Haven route. They were built as Lot No 1702 to Diagram J18 and were a Hawksworth design, with the characteristic sloping roof-ends and flat body-side profile.
As new these four cars were finished in BR crimson and cream, and by withdrawal in the early 1970s had been repainted in BR maroon. They had ten berths, each compartment having one bed with a sink, luggage racks, coat hangers, shaver points, and forced-air heating. Each carriage also had a compartment for an attendant at one end and a lavatory at the other.
9085 arrived on the SVR on 5 January 1971 from Didcot, having been acquired by SVR(H). It is normally parked at the end of Siding 2 at Arley station, where it is used for staff accommodation. In recent years it has been finished in non-authentic GWR 1942-47 livery, with the coat of arms insignia flanked by 'GREAT' and 'WESTERN'. During June 2017 it received a contract repaint at Bridgnorth MPD; when photographed in July 2017 it had returned to Arley although the 'coat of arms' had not been reinstated.
SVR Stock Book 9th Edition
Railway Heritage Register Carriage Survey