GWR 9055 Nondescript Saloon

GWR 9055 Nondescript Saloon
GWR G43 first saloon 9055 at Kidderminster.jpg
GWR 9055 Nondescript Saloon
Built By GWR Swindon
Status In service
Number 9055
Other numbers DW150127
History
Built 1912
Designed By Churchward
Diagram G43
Lot 1209
Type Nondescript, BTO
Length 57ft 0in
Weight 26t 6cwt
Seats 44 unclassified (as built)
1972 Preserved on SVR

Carriages

9055 was designed by GJ Churchward and built by the GWR at Swindon in 1912. It was an unclassified or 'nondescript' saloon (ie not allocated to any specific class such as first or third), and was used for private hire. As originally built it seated 44 passengers in two saloons with a side-corridor connection. It also featured 'toplights', small 'lights' or windows above the main windows, which were a feature of many GWR carriages of the period.

9055 was a ‘one-off’ prototype, although it formed the basis of a later Collett design of which 9103 and 9369 are also at the SVR.

9055 later saw service as a departmental vehicle, being allocated coach code BTO (Brake Third Open) by BR and carrying departmental number DW 150127. It was used as a mobile MPD office at Shrewsbury and Newport, from where it was purchased by The Great Western (SVR) Association, arriving 6 September 1972.

After a lengthy restoration it entered service on the SVR as a party vehicle with one saloon and an open wheelchair area. Following withdrawal in 1996 it underwent an overhaul which included a repaint into chocolate and cream livery and the re-instatement of the second saloon and side compartment.

9055 is normally used in the Toplights set. It is finished in GWR 1922-27 livery featuring the ‘garter crest’ logo.

See also

References

SVR Stock Book, Ninth Edition
Railway Heritage Register Carriage Survey

Links