GWR 80982 Signal Dept Van
|GWRGreat Western Railway 80982 Signal Dept Van|
GWRGreat Western Railway 80982 Signal Dept Van
|Built By||GWRGreat Western Railway Swindon|
|Status||Operational (static use)|
|Type||Signal Dept van|
|1972||Entered preservation on SVRSevern Valley Railway|
80982 in service
80982 was built at Swindon in 1913 to Diagram CC7, Lot 767, and was allocated to Reading Signal Dept. Workshop and tool vans built to Diagram CC were not allocated a telegraphic code. As a DepartmentalRolling stock used for the railway’s own functions (engineering etc.) rather than for general passenger or goods traffic. wagon, it carried the number DW 80982.
80982 in preservation
After being decommissioned by BRBritish Rail or British Railways(W), 80982 was rescued from Bristol, arriving on the SVRSevern Valley Railway on 2 May 1972. It was originally intended for storage, but has been fully restored. It is operational but is normally located at Bewdley next to the Goods Shed where it serves as the Wagon Department's mess van. It is owned by The GWR 813 Preservation Fund.
It appeared on the main line in 1985 as part of the GW 150 demonstration freight train which ran to Newport behind GWR freight loco 2857.
Receiving attention in the Goods Shed
- ↑ Railway Heritage Register Wagon Survey
- ↑ SVRSevern Valley Railway Stock Book 9th Edition
- ↑ GWR813.org
- ↑ A history of GWRGreat Western Railway goods wagons. A G Atkins, W Beard, D J Hyde, R Tourret. 1986. ISBN 0-7153-8725-1
- ↑ SVRSevern Valley Railway News 24
- ↑ SVRSevern Valley Railway News 78