GWR 7284 Composite

From SVR Wiki
Revision as of 15:17, 7 November 2019 by Patrick Hearn (talk | contribs) (Info added)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search
GWRGreat Western Railway 7284 CompositeCarriage having more than one class of seating, ie First and Third or latterly First and Standard.
GWR E164 CK 7284 at Bridgnorth.jpg
GWRGreat Western Railway 7284 CompositeCarriage having more than one class of seating, ie First and Third or latterly First and Standard.
Built By GWRGreat Western Railway Swindon
Status In service
Number 7284
Other numbers 079156, 99236
History
Built 1941
Designed By CollettCharles Benjamin Collett, Chief Mechanical Engineer (CME) of the Great Western Railway 1922-1941
Diagram E162
Lot 1639
Type CK
Length 59ft 10in
Weight 31t 5cwt
Seats 24 first, 24 third
1969 Preserved on SVRSevern Valley RailwaySVRA:Severn Valley Railway AssociationSVRS:Severn Valley Railway Society

Carriages

GWRGreat Western Railway Corridor CompositeCarriage having more than one class of seating, ie First and Third or latterly First and Standard. (CK) 7284 was built at Swindon in June 1941 as lot number 1639 to diagram E162. The term ‘composite’ refers to a carriage having more than one class of seating, in this case both first and third class compartments.

After passenger service, 7284 was later numbered 079156 and 99236. The former number signified DepartmentalRolling stock used for the railway’s own functions (engineering etc.) rather than for general passenger or goods traffic. Coaching stock within the Western Region that did not normally move or had its movements confined to a particular depot or yard. The latter number signifying hauled non-passenger carrying use and related to 7284’s inclusion in the Swindon GWRGreat Western Railway test train which was used for load testing of diesel locomotives.

The entire 9-coach test train was sold into preservation in 1969, with 7284 being bought for the SVRSevern Valley RailwaySVRA:Severn Valley Railway AssociationSVRS:Severn Valley Railway Society along with four Full Third (TK) carriages, arriving on 19 December. It was first restored in 1971 when owned by Mr Peter Waite. In the mid-1970s it was used as part of the GWR rake of carriages used on the main line as well as on the SVRSevern Valley RailwaySVRA:Severn Valley Railway AssociationSVRS:Severn Valley Railway Society itself. Now owned by The Great Western (SVR) Association, it is regularly used in set GW and is finished in GWRGreat Western Railway 1934-42 livery featuring the ‘shirt-button’ roundel.

See also

List of carriages

References

Railway Heritage Register Carriage Survey
SVRSevern Valley RailwaySVRA:Severn Valley Railway AssociationSVRS:Severn Valley Railway Society Stock Book Ninth Edition
Great Western (SVRSevern Valley RailwaySVRA:Severn Valley Railway AssociationSVRS:Severn Valley Railway Society) Association web site

Links