GWR 3930 Full Third
|GWR 3930 Full Third|
GWR 3930 Full Third (2015)
|Built By||GWR Swindon|
|Other numbers||DW 150011|
|1967||Entered preservation on SVR|
3930 was built at Swindon in May 1915 as lot number 1246 to diagram C32. The 56/57ft stock such as 3930 was used on ‘second string’ passenger expresses and cross country services for which the contemporaneous 70ft toplights (mainly used on services out of Paddington) were not suitable.After ending passenger service, 3930 saw Departmental use as a mess / sleeping van number DW 150011. Three of the eight compartments and a toilet were removed to create the mess area, the other five compartments were retained as dormitories. Its final use in this role was at Barry.
3930 was purchased by The Great Western (SVR) Association from Barry on 29 November 1967. Some limited restoration work was carried out in the late 1960s, including replacing the missing compartments and repairing the frame work and end panelling. A temporary coat of paint and lettering was applied so that 3930 could be used in filming The Signalman in 1976.
It was stored at Highley for some years before being moved to Bewdley in early 1986 for major repairs. This became a major restoration to a high standard which ended in late 1996, including finishing in a GWR 1922-27 livery featuring the ‘garter crest’ logo. In 1994 an SVRA raffle helped fund the costs of the re-upholstery which was approximately £5,000.