GWR 3467 Fruit D Van
This long wheelbase ‘Fruit D’ Van is a GWRGreat Western Railway design and was built by BRBritish Rail or British Railways at Swindon in 1955. In service it was steam heated and electrically lit with power from an axle driven dynamo and chassis mounted batteries, similar to the system used on passenger coaches.
It was acquired in 1973 from BRBritish Rail or British Railways stock at Kidderminster goods yard where it had been condemned. The late Bill Bennett was responsible for acquiring the vehicle from BRBritish Rail or British Railways, using his connections as an employee in the permanent way department. 3467 has been at Hampton Loade ever since, where it is used as the Hampton Loade Station Fund Shop.
When delivered to Hampton Loade, 3467 was in BRBritish Rail or British Railways Blue livery. In preservation it has carried GWRGreat Western Railway passenger brown and GWRGreat Western Railway freight grey. Both these liveries are inaccurate for a vehicle built in 1955, but this has been done to blend in with Hampton Loade station which is painted in 1930s GWRGreat Western Railway colours. After a repaint in 2015 3467 is once again in GWRGreat Western Railway brown awaiting signwriting.
Vintage Carriages Trust database
SVRSevern Valley Railway Stock Book Eighth Edition