GWR 3429 Fruit D Van
|GWRGreat Western Railway 3429 Fruit D Van|
GWRGreat Western Railway Fruit Van 3429 (2015)
|Built By||BRBritish Rail or British Railways Swindon|
|Type||4-w ventilated van|
|Telegraphic code||FRUIT D|
|1973||Arrived on SVRSevern Valley Railway|
Service and preservation
3429 was built by BRBritish Rail or British Railways at Swindon in 1950 to diagram Y14, lot 1723. In service it was piped for steam heat, although not heated itself, and was gas-lit. Being capable of running in passenger services, it was allocated a number in the coach series in accordance with GWRGreat Western Railway practice. Many continued in use by engineers and as internal users.
It was acquired for preservation from Ipswich in 1973, arriving on 11 September, and is owned by Highley Station Fund. Originally intended for loco spares storage, it is now situated at Highley adjacent to the Signal Box. In June 2021 it was being repainted in situ as pictured below.
- Railway Heritage Register Wagon Survey
- SVRSevern Valley Railway Stock Book Ninth Edition