Difference between revisions of "GWR 1146 Full Third"

From SVR Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
m
m (Info added)
 
Line 30: Line 30:
 
After passenger service, 1146 was later numbered 079153 and 99232. The former number signified Departmental Coaching stock within the Western Region that did not normally move or had its movements confined to a particular depot or yard. The latter number signified hauled non-passenger carrying use; all four of the SVR TKs formed part of the Swindon GWR test train which was used for load testing of diesel locomotives.
 
After passenger service, 1146 was later numbered 079153 and 99232. The former number signified Departmental Coaching stock within the Western Region that did not normally move or had its movements confined to a particular depot or yard. The latter number signified hauled non-passenger carrying use; all four of the SVR TKs formed part of the Swindon GWR test train which was used for load testing of diesel locomotives.
 
    
 
    
The entire 9-coach test train was sold into preservation in 1969, with the four coaches being bought for the SVR. All four Full Thirds were restored between 1970 and 1973, and saw service on [[The Severn Valley Railway on the main line#SVR Carriages used on the main line | SVR excursions on the main line]] as well as on the SVR itself.
+
The entire 9-coach test train was sold into preservation in 1969, with the four coaches being bought for the SVR and arriving on 19 December. All four Full Thirds were restored between 1970 and 1973, and saw service on [[The Severn Valley Railway on the main line#SVR Carriages used on the main line | SVR excursions on the main line]] as well as on the SVR itself.
  
 
1146 completed an overhaul, which included repainting in the Bewdley carriage paint shop, and returned to service in spring of 2015.  It is finished in GWR 1934-42 livery featuring the ‘shirt-button’ roundel, and is owned by [[The GWR 813 Preservation Fund]].
 
1146 completed an overhaul, which included repainting in the Bewdley carriage paint shop, and returned to service in spring of 2015.  It is finished in GWR 1934-42 livery featuring the ‘shirt-button’ roundel, and is owned by [[The GWR 813 Preservation Fund]].

Latest revision as of 15:12, 7 November 2019

GWRGreat Western Railway 1146 Full Third
GWR 1146 20150528.jpg
GWRGreat Western Railway Full Third 1146
Built By GWRGreat Western Railway Swindon
Status In service
Number 1146
Other numbers 079153, 99232
History
Built 1938
Designed By CollettCharles Benjamin Collett, Chief Mechanical Engineer (CME) of the Great Western Railway 1922-1941
Diagram C77
Lot 1593
Type TK
Length 60ft 11¼in
Weight 31t 9cwt
Seats 64 third
1969 Entered preservation on SVRSevern Valley RailwaySVRA:Severn Valley Railway AssociationSVRS:Severn Valley Railway Society
2015 Re-entered service following overhaul

Carriages

1146 is one of four 1938-built CollettCharles Benjamin Collett, Chief Mechanical Engineer (CME) of the Great Western Railway 1922-1941 Corridor Third (TK) coaches on the SVRSevern Valley RailwaySVRA:Severn Valley Railway AssociationSVRS:Severn Valley Railway Society, along with 1086, 1087 and 1116. They were built at Swindon to diagram number C77 as lot number 1593.

After passenger service, 1146 was later numbered 079153 and 99232. The former number signified DepartmentalRolling stock used for the railway’s own functions (engineering etc.) rather than for general passenger or goods traffic. Coaching stock within the Western Region that did not normally move or had its movements confined to a particular depot or yard. The latter number signified hauled non-passenger carrying use; all four of the SVRSevern Valley RailwaySVRA:Severn Valley Railway AssociationSVRS:Severn Valley Railway Society TKs formed part of the Swindon GWRGreat Western Railway test train which was used for load testing of diesel locomotives.

The entire 9-coach test train was sold into preservation in 1969, with the four coaches being bought for the SVRSevern Valley RailwaySVRA:Severn Valley Railway AssociationSVRS:Severn Valley Railway Society and arriving on 19 December. All four Full Thirds were restored between 1970 and 1973, and saw service on SVR excursions on the main line as well as on the SVRSevern Valley RailwaySVRA:Severn Valley Railway AssociationSVRS:Severn Valley Railway Society itself.

1146 completed an overhaul, which included repainting in the Bewdley carriage paint shop, and returned to service in spring of 2015. It is finished in GWRGreat Western Railway 1934-42 livery featuring the ‘shirt-button’ roundel, and is owned by The GWR 813 Preservation Fund.

Sometime over the Christmas Bank Holiday 2017 1146 was one of two coaches vandalised at Kidderminster (the other being GNR Corridor Composite No. 2701). [1]

See also

List of carriages

References

Railway Heritage Register Carriage Survey
SVRSevern Valley RailwaySVRA:Severn Valley Railway AssociationSVRS:Severn Valley Railway Society Stock Book Ninth Edition

Links

  1. https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/local-hubs/bridgnorth/2017/12/26/historic-severn-valley-railway-carriages-vandalised-by-yobs/