GWR 1145 Toplight 'Snake C' Passenger Brake
|GWR 1145 Toplight 'Snake C' Passenger Brake|
GWR toplight 'Snake C' Passenger Brake 1145
|Built By||GWR Swindon|
|Type||Snake C, BG|
|2009||Restored as a static shop|
GWR Churchward toplight 'Snake C' Passenger Brake (BG) No 1145 was built in 1922. Accommodation consisted of a guard’s compartment situated between two luggage vans, with a corridor along one side to allow passengers to pass through, but this was removed when the coach was transferred into departmental use for delivering DMU parts to Swindon Works.
1145 arrived on the SVR from Bristol on 11 September 1973. It has previously seen use as Santa's Grotto, but after the SVR obtained replacement vehicles in 1999, 1145 saw use as a store. In 2007 was moved to Bewdley and briefly used as accommodation, then as the LNER (SVR) Coach Fund shop until its deteriorating condition led to its temporary replacement by LNER Pigeon Van 70759. In order to release 70759 for restoration, the The LNER (SVR) Coach Fund agreed with the Great Western (SVR) Association that, in return for the LNER Fund’s working members carrying out basic conservation and restoration work, it would be used as The Great Western (SVR) Association Shop.
Sister 261 is also resident on the SVR.
Railway Heritage Register Carriage Survey
Severn Valley Railway Stock Book Eighth Edition
- 1145 on Railway Heritage Register On-Line
- LNER (SVR) Coach Fund's 1145 webpage
- GW(SVR)A Sales Stand webpage