GWR 1087 Full Third
|GWR 1087 Full Third|
GWR Full Third 1087 (furthest, centre)
|Built By||GWR Swindon|
|Status||Stored awaiting overhaul|
|Other numbers||079158, 99235|
|1969||Entered preservation on SVR|
GWR Corridor Third (TK) 1087 is one of four such coaches on the SVR, together with 1086, 1116 and 1146. By the time they were built in 1938, CME Charles Collett had introduced more modern designs to succeed the 'bow-ended' stock. These included large picture windows to replace the external door to every compartment, with access to the coach being via vestibules at each end. Following a GWR policy decision in late 1937, the 1938 design was built to a more restricted loading gauge as used by the LNER and LMS, such vehicles being identified by a yellow disc on the body ends. The 1938 design also reintroduced two extra entry doors on the corridor side. These particular coaches have 8 compartments each seating 8 passengers, plus a toilet at each end of the coach.
They were built at Swindon to diagram number C77 as lot number 1593, with 1087 entering service in March 1938.
1087 continued in passenger service in the BR Western region as W1087W until April 1965, when it withdrawn and transferred into Internal User stock as number 079154. It then formed part of GWR's 9-coach Swindon test train, further details of which may be found under 1146.
The entire 9-coach test train was sold into preservation in 1969, with the four TKs and Corridor Composite 7284 being bought for the SVR and arriving on 19 December. All four Full Thirds were restored between 1970 and 1974, and saw service on SVR excursions on the main line in the mid to late 1970s (for which 1087 received TOPS Code 99235) as well as on the SVR itself.
1087 is owned by the Great Western (SVR) Association.
- ↑ Harris (1966) p. 104.
- ↑ Longworth (2018) p.55.