Difference between revisions of "GWR 102691 5 plank Open Goods Wagon"

From SVR Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
m (edit link)
m (Info added)
 
Line 27: Line 27:
 
__TOC__
 
__TOC__
  
GWR vacuum fitted 5-plank open goods wagon 102691, telegraphic code “Open B”, was built at Swindon in 1924 and saw service with the GWR, BR(W) and the Port of Bristol Authority. It was saved for preservation in 1975 and after spending some time at the West Somerset Railway and the Bristol Harbour Railway, it arrived on the Severn Valley Railway in March 1985. Restoration after arrival was completed in 1989.<ref>SVR Stock Book 9th edition</ref>.  
+
GWR vacuum fitted 5-plank open goods wagon 102691, telegraphic code “Open B”, was built at Swindon in 1924 and saw service with the GWR, BR(W) and the Port of Bristol Authority. It was saved for preservation in 1975 and after spending some time at the West Somerset Railway and the Bristol Harbour Railway, it arrived on the Severn Valley Railway on 28 March 1985. Restoration after arrival was completed in 1989.<ref>SVR Stock Book 9th edition</ref>.  
  
 
The first photo in the gallery below shows 102691 awaiting further restoration in early 2015.  This began in May of that year, and by July all the planks and floor boards had been removed. By February 2016 these had been replaced, and sign writing was taking place during the Spring Steam Gala in March 2016 (see below).  A number of other photos of the restoration, which was completed in April 2016, can be seen in [https://forum.svr-online.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=3340 this thread] on the SVR-Online forum.
 
The first photo in the gallery below shows 102691 awaiting further restoration in early 2015.  This began in May of that year, and by July all the planks and floor boards had been removed. By February 2016 these had been replaced, and sign writing was taking place during the Spring Steam Gala in March 2016 (see below).  A number of other photos of the restoration, which was completed in April 2016, can be seen in [https://forum.svr-online.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=3340 this thread] on the SVR-Online forum.

Latest revision as of 14:40, 12 February 2020

GWRGreat Western Railway 102691 5 plank Open Goods Wagon
102691 at Highley.jpg
GWRGreat Western Railway 102691 at Highley Shortly after restoration in 2016
Built By GWRGreat Western Railway Swindon
Status In use
Number 102691
History
Built 1924
Designed By GWRGreat Western Railway
Type 5 plank open with sheet rail
Telegraphic code OPEN B
Brakes Morton with vacuum
1975 Entered preservation
1985 Arrived on SVRSevern Valley RailwaySVRA:Severn Valley Railway AssociationSVRS:Severn Valley Railway Society
1989 Restoration completed
2015/16 Further restoration

Goods Wagons

GWRGreat Western Railway vacuum fitted 5-plank open goods wagon 102691, telegraphic code “Open B”, was built at Swindon in 1924 and saw service with the GWRGreat Western Railway, BRBritish Rail or British Railways(W) and the Port of Bristol Authority. It was saved for preservation in 1975 and after spending some time at the West Somerset Railway and the Bristol Harbour Railway, it arrived on the Severn Valley Railway on 28 March 1985. Restoration after arrival was completed in 1989.[1].

The first photo in the gallery below shows 102691 awaiting further restoration in early 2015. This began in May of that year, and by July all the planks and floor boards had been removed. By February 2016 these had been replaced, and sign writing was taking place during the Spring Steam Gala in March 2016 (see below). A number of other photos of the restoration, which was completed in April 2016, can be seen in this thread on the SVRSevern Valley RailwaySVRA:Severn Valley Railway AssociationSVRS:Severn Valley Railway Society-Online forum.

102691 is owned by The GWR 813 Preservation Fund

Gallery

See also

List of goods wagons

References

  1. SVRSevern Valley RailwaySVRA:Severn Valley Railway AssociationSVRS:Severn Valley Railway Society Stock Book 9th edition

Links