GNR 2701 Composite Corridor
GNRGreat Northern Railway 2701 was built at Doncaster in August 1922 as one of ten carriages to Diagram 164K. It is a Corridor CompositeCarriage having more than one class of seating, ie First and Third or latterly First and Standard. (CK), seating 21 first class passengers in first class compartments and 24 in third class compartments. The carriage was involved in a collision at Retford during its first year of use, but survived and remained in service until 1958. It was converted at Stratford to a camping coach and stationed at Mundsley until 1964, when it was transferred to departmental stock and ended up at Boston serving as the carriage cleaners bothy.
Around 1980, 2701 was purchased by the landlord of the Plough Inn, a few miles away at Swineshead, and following a difficult road movement was to be converted to a dining room, but the project failed to gain planning permission. Despite an attempt to preserve it in Norfolk, 2701 was transferred to another pub, Stoneyford Lodge in Derbyshire, also with the intention of use as a dining room, but this time the adjacent open cast mine was extended over its intended site.
2701 was purchased in 1994 by The LNER (SVR) Coach Fund from The Stoneyford Lodge, with a view to restoration. In 2001 the Heritage Lottery Fund awarded a grant of £84k towards the cost, and the coach entered service in July 2008, being formally launched into service on 16th August of that year by Mr Tim Godfrey, a grandson of Sir Nigel GresleySir Nigel Gresley, Chief Mechanical Engineer (CME) of the London & North Eastern Railway 1923-1941. It was declared the overall winner in the Heritage Railway Association Carriage & Wagon competition 2009.
Railway Heritage Register Carriage Survey