Foley Park sidings
A set of sidings, located 1 mile 179 yards from Kidderminster Junction, serving the British Sugar Corporation and Smethwick Drop Forgings, built in 1925. They were located near Foley Park Halt, which was moved from the South side of the line to the North when the sidings opened. The sidings remained in use after the closure of the Kidderminster-Bewdley line on 6 January 1970, finally closing on 25 October 1982.
During the sugar beet season, which normally ran from mid-September to mid-January, up to four trains per day would arrive at Kidderminster. Shunting from Kidderminster to the Foley Park factory required a shunting engine to be available 24 hours per day.
Access to the sidings from Kidderminster was by means of a ground frame. See Ground Frames at Foley Park.
In January 2016 the area was cleared of undergrowth to allow surveying on behalf of the Wagon Review Group for a potential new wagon storage facility to provide covered accommodation for the SVR's fleet of wagons along with a PW storage area and access for locomotives arriving by road.
Historic maps of Foley Park sidings
- GWR plan of the northern part of Foley park sidings including Foley park Halt
- GWR plan of the southern part of Foley park sidings including the sand sidings on the opposite side.
- 1927 map showing the sidings and beet sugar factory
- 1938 map showing the sidings and the expansion of the beet sugar factory
- A DMU at Foley Park Halt. Comments on the link point out that the lack of traffic is likely due to sugar beet being a seasonal crop.
- The Railway at Kidderminster in the 1940s, AJ Turley.
- "Severn Valley Railway". Railways in Worcestershire article. Link. Accessed 09/01/2015.