Bewdley Carriage & Wagon Department
The Bewdley Carriage & Wagon Department is effectively split in to two parts. Three full time staff, with volunteer support, are based in the paint shop in Bewdley Down Yard, focusing almost exclusively on carriages. Wagon repairs and restorations are carried out by Wagon Department volunteers in the goods shed. Both are usually closed to the public, except during special events such as the Open House Weekend.
They also maintain the resident Ruston and Hornsby 165hp Diesel Shunter 319290 which is used for shunting duties in the yard and for shuttling rolling stock under restoration between Bewdley and Kidderminster.
2010 strategic review
In 2010 the SVR conducted a strategic review of the business. This recommended making redundant the paid staff in the carriage team, with it continuing as a volunteer only operation. The team successfully produced an alternative business plan, taking in contract work and performing other work on the railway that would have used outside contractors, such as re-roofing Bewdley South signal box.
The 2857 Society, The 1501 Pannier Tank Association, Warwickshire Industrial Locomotive Preservation Group and The Erlestoke Manor Fund also have a presence there.
- 'Severn Valley jobs go as railway visitors fall', Express & Star, 6 April 2011 (Retrieved 11 December 2020)