|Up (towards Kidderminster)||Down (towards Bridgnorth)|
|Kidderminster (3½ miles)|| Arley (3¾ miles)|
via Northwood Halt
|Towards Hartlebury||Towards Kidderminster||Towards Shrewsbury||Towards Tenbury Wells|
| Stourport (2½ miles) )
via Burlish Halt (from 1930)
| Kidderminster (3¾ miles)
via Rifle Range Halt (1905-1920)
and Foley Park Halt (from 1905)
| Arley (3¾ miles)
via Northwood Halt (from 1935)
The station is controlled by two signal boxes, Bewdley South and Bewdley North. The section through platforms 1 and 2 is the only double track section of the present SVR. This is worked under Absolute Block regulations.
The yard at Bewdley is home to the Carriage and Wagon department which supplements the Carriage Repair Department at Kidderminster and maintains the fleet of goods wagons. The 4150 Fund are also restoring GWR locomotive 4150 in Bewdley yard. Public access to the yard is available during the annual Open House Weekend and the Peep Behind the Scenes event, organised by the 4150 Fund.
Bewdley Platform 1 is home to the Volunteer Liaison Office.
Bewdley has limited public pay and display parking. Three sales coaches run by support groups are adjacent to the car park.
In March 2018 the buffet adjacent to Platform 1 was closed pending demolition of the buffet building, but not the more recent toilet block and kitchen. BR 4593 Tourist Standard Open was moved to the dock in front of the buffet to be used as seating for staff and the public, with table service provided from the kitchen.
Points of interest
The booking hall had been ‘modernised’ by BR with tall ticket windows and plywood facing. The plywood was removed in winter 1980-81 to reveal the original GWR panelling. At the same time the smaller windows were reinstated and fitted with brass wired grids acquired from the old Birmingham Snow Hill station. The balustrades in front of the windows also came from Snow Hill.
The phone box outside the station is an example of the K4 type, introduced in 1930. The K4, nicknamed the Vermillion Giant, was a combined telephone and post box. Only 50 were ever produced.
The box is Grade II listed by Historic England and described as "Intact but not on original site". It arrived on the SVR in winter 1981-82 on permanent loan from the Ironbridge Gorge Museum Trust and was originally situated on Platform 1..
A covered wooden footbridge at the northern end of the station allows access between Platform 1 and Platforms 2&3. It is numbered bridge 10.
Two water towers at the southern end of Platforms 2&3 and in the MPD area allow watering of locomotives. The tower on the island platform is of GWR origin and was recovered from Stow Heath yard, Bilston in 1969. The tower next to the MPD is of LNWR origin and was retrieved from Hadley, near Wellington, in October 1972. Both columns were installed during the winter of 1973-74. Unlike at Bridgnorth and Kidderminster, the water supply at Bewdley is not specially treated, and so the columns are only used on rare occasions such as galas.
Island platform canopy
Platforms 2 and 3 share a canopy, built in 1878, giving passengers protection from the weather. The canopy, featuring timber frames on cast iron pillars was extended around 1900 with the new section supported on steel frames.
The double-faced clock under the island platform canopy was built for the GWR by Kays of Worcester in the late 19th or early 20th century. It was used at nearby Stourbridge Junction until 1977 when, no longer required by BR, it was acquired by staff from Arley station. It worked until 1998, but then underwent a year-long overhaul, being re-commissioned on 10 April 1999.
An open roofed cast iron gentlemen's urinal is located on Platforms 2 and 3 on the site of the original urinal which was built in 1896. The replacement was relocated from Melrose in Scotland by SVR volunteers and formally opened in September 1977. See 'Links' below for two copyrighted images of the urinal at Melrose.
Portable water tank
A portable water tank with hand powered pump was used for the refilling of carriage water tanks.
The token catcher opposite Bewdley North signal box was originally located opposite Bewdley South signal box, where it could be used by locomotives on the former Stourport Branch. It was moved to its present location during the 1974-75 close season. It is not currently in use, tokens instead being exchanged by hand.
Bewdley history before preservation
- 1862 Bewdley has a population of 2900 (Population; 10869 in 2001)
- 1862: When the Severn Valley Line opened, Bewdley was a crossing point and was deemed a principal station, being provided with a goods shed and goods yard. Construction of the Tenbury and Bewdley Railway and the Kidderminster Loop Line had already been authorised, and the station was always planned to be a junction.
- 1877: In preparation for the delayed opening of the Kidderminster Loop, authorisation was given to enlarge the island platform and provide a shelter and footbridge. New Bewdley North and Bewdley South signal boxes were also built.
- 1878: The Kidderminster Loop opened on 1 June.
- 1900: Authorisation was given for additional siding space including the Rock Siding at the back of Platform 3 and the siding along the far side of the yard.
- 1962: Passenger services to Tenbury ceased on 31 July (services beyond Tenbury to Woofferton had ended a year earlier).
- 1963: Passenger services towards Shrewsbury ceased on 9 September, with through freight services ending at the end of November. The Public Notice announcing closure of the line can be seen behind the ‘Platform 1’ sign in the photograph to the right (a copy of the closure notice is on display in The Engine House).
- 1964: Goods services ended on the Tenbury Branch and the line was closed.
- 1965: The goods yard closed on 1 February.
- 1969: All goods traffic north of Bewdley ceased with the closure of Alveley Colliery. This enabled the SVR Society to rent the former goods-shed and yard (even though they had not yet opened the first section of the railway between Bridgnorth and Hampton Loade by that time). This space was used for restoration of locomotives and rolling stock, 4566 and 1501 being among the earliest residents.
- 1970: Passenger services to Kidderminster and Hartlebury ended on 5 January, ending the pre-preservation use of Bewdley Station.
A train waits to depart Northbound from Platform 1 in October 1959 (Sellick Collection)
An ex-GWR DMU arrives at Bewdley in October 1962 (Sellick Collection)
|Passenger Traffic||Freight Traffic|
|Year||Tickets issued||Parcels despatched||Revenue (£)||Tons received & despatched||Revenue (£)||Total revenue (£)|
- SVR News 59
- Historic England listing entry for the phone box
- SVR News 62
- SVR News 66
- SVR News 29
- SVR News 31
- SVR News 130
- SVR News 36
- Handbook to the Severn Valley Railway, J. Randall, 1863
- 2001 census
- Beddoes and Smith ((1995) p. 193.
Bewdley Station web site
Volunteer Liaison Office web site
Image of "Melrose, Railway Station, urinal View from W" 8/4/1974
Image of "Interior of cast-iron urinal at Melrose Railway Station, Melrose, Roxburghshire", n/d