Barry Railway Carriage 163
This carriage was built in 1895 by Ashbury’s of Manchester for the BarryWoodham Brothers Scrapyard, Barry, South Wales. The source of many locomotives now in preservation. Railway in South Wales, where it was originally numbered 15. It is a composite carriage having two first class and three second class compartments. Following withdrawal by the GWRGreat Western Railway as number 6058 in 1928, the coach was used as a holiday home in the Clent Hills until 1992. It was then rescued for restoration at Hampton Loade.
The carriage body is now mounted on the underframe of an ex-SRSouthern Railway Guards and Luggage van (type BY), built at Eastleigh in 1937 and originally numbered C 436, later numbered ADB975140 for departmental use by BRBritish Rail or British Railways. This was initially preserved in 1994 at the Gwili Railway, but the body was scrapped in 2003 when the underframe was moved to Hampton Loade as a donor for 163.
In addition to being mounted on the donor underframe, the carriage's internal partitions have been reinstated and much of the bodywork repaired. Restoration continues at Hampton Loade station.
Railway Heritage Register Carriage Survey
BarryWoodham Brothers Scrapyard, Barry, South Wales. The source of many locomotives now in preservation. Railway Carriage Trust