BR Standard 9F 92214
It is a British Railways Standard Class 9F 2-10-0 locomotive, one of the final batch of steam locomotives built by British Railways at Swindon Works. The 9F class was the last of the BR Standard classes designed by RA Riddles. One of the most powerful steam locomotive types ever constructed in Britain, their size and shape earned them the nickname 'Spaceships'. They were intended for use on fast, heavy freight trains over long distances, although they were also used successfully on passenger services, in particular on the Somerset and Dorset Railway.
92214 was allocated new to Cardiff Canton depot on 31 October 1959, with a move to Banbury the following month. It was further reallocated to Ebbw Junction (Newport) in 1961 and finally to Severn Tunnel Junction in 1964. It was withdrawn from service there on 6 August 1965 after a working life of just 5 years 10 months.
92214 arrived at Barry in December 1965. It left there initially destined for the Peak Railway Society at Buxton in December 1980, and entered service in 2004 following completion of restoration at the Midland Railway Centre, Butterley. In 2010 the locomotive moved to the North Yorkshire Moors railway where in 2011 it was painted in fictional BR Lined Black livery and given the name “Cock o’ the North”. In January 2014 the locomotive moved to its present home, the Great Central Railway. Since then it has been repainted in lined BR Brunswick Green as carried by classmate 92220 'Evening Star'. It has subsequently carried the names “Central Star” and most recently “Leicester City”.