BR Class 08 D3802
|BR Class 08 D3802|
08635 at Kidderminster Apr 2017
|Built By||BR Derby Works|
|Power type||Diesel Electrical|
|Status||Evaluation for repair|
|2007||Withdrawn by BR|
|2007||Arrived on SVR|
|2021||Re-powering with hydrogen-hybrid power pack|
D3802 in main line service
D3802 was built at Derby Works and entered BR service in December 1959 (the locomotive never received a number in the 13xxx range). D3802 was initially allocated to Stoke, but during the 1960s also saw service at Crewe South, Crewe Diesel, Ryecroft (Walsall) and Chester (Midland).
D3802’s travels continued in the 1970s with moves to Holyhead and Cricklewood East. In January 1974 D3802 became No 08635 under the TOPS numbering scheme, before a final move to Saltley in 1979. There the locomotive remained until withdrawn from service in February 2007 after a working life of more than 47 years.
D3802 in preservation
D3802 arrived on the SVR in April 2007 as a source of spares. It was placed in store, latterly in Kidderminster Carriage Shed with sister 08896. In February 2017 it was moved to the Diesel Depot for evaluation for repair, possibly using the engine from 08896. The photograph shows the locomotive on display next to the Diesel Depot at the April 2017 Open House Weekend. In June 2017 it was confirmed the assessment was unsuccessful and BR Class 09 09107 purchased as more cost effective than restoring D3802.
Harrier hydro shunter project
In 2021 the SVR teamed up with the University of Birmingham's Vanguard Sustainable Transport Solutions to work on the Harrier hydro shunter project in Kidderminster TMD. This will see the UK’s first-ever conversion of a diesel locomotive to run with a replacement hydrogen-hybrid power pack. Completion is expected in the summer of 2023.
Updates can be found on the H3802 Harrier Hydro Shunter Project Facebook page.
- ↑ BRDatabase website
- ↑ UKLocos.com
- ↑ SVR "Meet The Loco" web page
- ↑ Unofficial SVR Facebook page, 12 February 2017
- ↑ Longhorn, D., 'Heritage railway joins forces to build a locomotive for the future', Rail Business Daily, 23 April 2021 (Retrieved 23 April 2021)
- ↑ 'Evolution of the Harrier Hydro Shunter - a project update' on SVR YouTube (16 December 2022) (Retrieved 17 December 2022)
- 'Severn Valley Railway helps to build a locomotive for the future, The Harrier Hydro shunter project' on SVR YouTube (23 April 2021) (Retrieved 23 April 2021)
- 'Evolution of the Harrier Hydro Shunter - a project update' on SVR YouTube (16 December 2022) (Retrieved 17 December 2022)